We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip

Seattle
9 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip

My husband and I are heading to Long Beach for our one year anniversary around the time of the kite festival. We are coming from Eastern Washington and would like to leave a few days earlier to go on a little road trip excursion before reaching our final destination. We are willing to go a little out of our way . .even down to the Oregon Coast. Does anyone have any suggestions on towns to go to? Also, while we are in Long Beach . .are there any suggestions on things to do while we are there?

Thank-you very much

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip

Swing up through republic and come that way, much more scenic.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Trip

Warning, party pooper here... if you go to the OR coast you'll wonder why you chose Long Beach. IMO!

I agree with preceding post, NE WA route is prettier than I-90.

You could drive via, say, Seattle, to Olympic National Park then on to Long Beach. Beautiful, a bit circuitous. Check the map.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Trip

I concur. From your description, I'd take whatever time you're planning in Long Beach and spend it in Cannon Beach, OR.

Two cents given,

chuck

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Trip

Thank-you all for your tips. I never considered the Olympic National Park. I would also love to go to Cannon Beach. Thank-you again!

Level Contributor
33,949 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Trip

You will love Cannon Beach, we also enjoy spending time in Seaside where I am now at our beach cottage. If you like history and quaint towns, don't miss spending some time in Astoria. www.oldreong.com is a nice website for this area.

If you do go to the WA coast, Seaview is a nice little town with some good restaurants. The Depot and 42 Street Cafe are very good. Illwaco is also a fun place to explore, walk the waterfront and dine at Port Bistro there. Enjoy your travels! :)

Level Contributor
33,949 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Trip

Oops sorry, www.oldoregon.com is the website for Astoria area. :)

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Trip

I live in Washington 60 miles from Long Beach, but if we want to go to the beach we go to Seaside, Cannon Beach, Manzanita, Yachats. The Oregon Coast is just much more scenic and the accomodations with ocean front rooms are actually on the ocean front, not a half mile up the dunes from the beach. :-(

8. Re: Anniversary Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 19:47
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Trip

charliespal, I agree with you, you pinpointed several very good spots. An author of numerous books, Willard Espy, an old line family, lived in Oysterville. He wrote, among other books, Almanac of Words at Play - clever, fun, reading.

I, too, forget that the area has much to offer. We go to your area twice a year for the sheer fun of exploring. It might not compare to the ruggedness of the OR coast, but it does offer much, especially to the first timer.

So, to the OP, I'd now say, give it a try and, when more time available, drive south down the OR coast.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary Trip

Meant to add to charliespal's comments about this state park, a really great and diverse one:

www.parks.wa.gov/parks/region/…

Get answers to your questions about Long Beach
More Long Beach Topics