We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fires

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Fires

Supposed to arrive tomorrow through Sunday. We will take I 90. What is the air quality like in Leavenworth right now?

Washington
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Fires

Here is the Washington State Air Quality Map:

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/

Leavenworth quality is currently listed as moderate, Wenatchee is Unheathy for sensitive groups.

Here is a link to the category descriptions:

…wa.gov/programs/…WAQA_Intro_Page.html

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2. Re: Fires

Thanks. Hoping for someone in Leavenworth right now. I appreciate the links though.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Fires

You might keep an eye on this thread, where people are chatting about it.

www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php…

The Leavenworth webcams are funny--some look great, but one in particular (the Icicle Village one)--YIKES. It's all about direction and wind.

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4. Re: Fires

Thanks for the last link. I will check it out. Yeah, webcams look ominous looking north. Called their summer theatre who performs outside. They said the performances are not hindered and will continue. Can't imagine if actors can sing for a couple hours that the smoke is intolerable.

Washington
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Fires

I was hiking in Leavenworth two weeks ago, and it was dry, dry, dry and hot. I was worried about conditions then.

You can also check the wsdot webcams:

www.wsdot.com/traffic/cccam.aspx?cam=1343

I assume, coming from Mt. Vernon, your plan was to travel on US 2.

Here is US 2 update from 7:30am this morning:

"US 2 Both Directions - US 2 is closed in both directions from milepost 64 at summit of Stevens pass to milepost 99 at Leavenworth due to fire activity. Also SR207 and the Chumstick highway are closed to all but local traffic. There is no detour available at this time.

Last Updated: 7/17/2014 7:50 AM

From milepost 64 to milepost 99"

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Fires

Yeah we have already decided to go 90 to 97. Fire appears to be too close to 2 for it to reopen by tomorrow.

Washington
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Fires

Recent news reports indicate ash is falling in Leavenworth. I would remain flexible with your plans. If you haven't already, contact the Leavenworth Chamber for current status. Here is their number: 509-548-5807

Remember too, if you return via I-90, as you get closer to Seattle, I-90 will be down to one lane from I-405 westbound. Traffic, and back-ups from Issaquah, along I-405, etc are expected to be enormous. It's important to be aware of the traffic issues for the coming week.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 02:08
Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8. Re: Fires

Thanks. We were just talking about that. Since we live in Mount Vernon, we will get off at Issaquah and hit East Lake Sammamish Pkwy. Either get on 520 in Redmond or get on 405 at 85th.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Fires

You could also go up 203 through Duvall and Monroe and get back to 2 that way.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
104 reviews
10. Re: Fires

The sky is very yellow in Spokane this morning and the sun has a bright red glow. All of this is from the fires. It looks like it's cloudy but it's not. It also is pretty smoky outside and the air quality is not very good. Some of my friends have reported ash on cars here in Spokane from the fires in central Washington.