We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulip festival April 17-18

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Tulip festival April 17-18

Hi, I'm booked for travel to Seattle to arrive on April 16. Looks like the tulips bloomed early this year and they are guaranteeing them till April 12 and after that it will be a day to day decision based on weather, if they will be topped. The display garden in rosengaarde will still have tulips I'm told.

So my question is, is it worth a trip on Friday April 16 or Saturday April 17 from Seattle to the valley if the fields won't be blooming?

Would love advice. I'm hoping against hope that the fields survive till I arrive!

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Palm Springs...
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,292 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

here is a picture from yesterday. They look in peak but almost ready to go to seed form so I'm not thinking they will be around on the 17th

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Laconner is a cute little town. We can always keep our fingers crossed but it supposed to be sunny the next few days so it will speed things up vs delay.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

Thanks for the reply. I was told that the display garden in roozengaarde will still have tulips because they aren't cut for the crop. Is it worth the trip down then? I'm thinking to stay positive and think maybe I won't get the crowds then?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

Good luck to you!

I would approach it as a lovely drive in the countryside with the off chance of seeing fields in color. The Skagit Valley is lovely farming country and as river bottom meets broad plain, speads out to be more dulcet than dramatic.

The charming town of La Connor is its western terminus in a practical sense and a natural destination.

North and south of the valley can be dramatically different situations.

You will have driven north on I-5 bouyed on the inevitable kid-waiting-for-Easter-morn excitement. Whether you see tulips or not, the post-visit ennui of this dreadfully boring drive southbound awaits. Fortunately, there is a strategy to neatly avoid it.

Leaving Seattle as early as you can muster the troops, head to Mt. Vernon and the fields. What tulips there may be are best viewed in the early morning light at your back. Mist in the valley a mystical bonus. Lack of crowds clogging the roadways a practical bonus.

Immediately to the north of the valley you can cross SR-20 and follow SR-11, Chuckanut Drive on its ribbon course threaded high above Sammish Bay and Puget Sound on one side, and far below the peak of Chuckanut mountain on the other. Easily the most scenic drive in the state, you will be treated to forest, water, and island views that may just make you stop wondering where have all the flowers gone as you gaze in awe. The start of the drive takes you through the tiny hamlet(s) of Bow/Edison. A stop will treat you to country charm, killer food for a lunch stop, and my preference, a stop at the Breadfarm bakery to eschew a sensible lunch in favor of filling up on macaroons. The northern terminus of Chuckanut is the historic Bellingham neighborhood of Fairhaven - an apt moniker. Visit, u-turn, and repeat. This route is really delicious enough to merit seconds.

Re-arriving at SR-20, follow the road onto Whidbey Island. Certainly stop at gorgeous Deception Pass State Park to stretch your legs and to peer off the bridge down the defile between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands onto the surging waters far below. Drive the length of the island - neatly substituting a drive through the pretty island countryside for the commute of the undead along southbound I-5 - to the southern terminus at Clinton, and take the short ferry ride to Mukilteo. (One cannot take too many ferry rides on a NW visit, IMO.) Pause and explore on a short walk around the lighthouse.

Return to Seattle, happy for your day in the country and whatever sights were in store.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

Awesome! Thanks so much for the advice and tips. Have you been to the roozengaarde display gardens? Should I keep them in the itinery?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

Sure, why not? Its a nice stop. The little gift shop there worth a browse, and something will be in bloom.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
6. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

What a sweet suggestion! Thanks for sharing, @Ray S!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

I just love that drive. So quintessentially Northwest. At the north end, a detour into downtown Bellingham to chow down at Fiamma burger makes the miles even more worthwhile.

Edited: 07 May 2015, 16:02
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: Tulip festival April 17-18

I just love that drive. So quintessentially Northwest. At the north end, a detour into downtown Bellingham to chow down at Giamma burger makes the miles even more worthwhile.

Reply to: Tulip festival April 17-18
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Conner
Recent Conversations
More La Conner Topics