We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Interstate 5 or 20?

Bayport, Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Which Interstate 5 or 20?

We will be coming from Vancouver to La Conner on Saturday April 18th and driving to Everett WA from La Conner WA on Sunday April 19th - I am reading all the traffic issues due to Tulip festival on weekends. Which is my better option on Sunday I20 or I5 southbound at that time of year?

5 replies to this topic
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
139 reviews
1. Re: Which Interstate 5 or 20?

There is only one Interstate between Vancouver and Everett. To reach LaConner you will go west on on State Route 20 from the I-5 exit at Burlington. Highway 20 will most definitely be crowded on Tulip Festival weekends. It is a good road, but not an expressway.

Since you are only going as far as Everett on Sunday, it would be more scenic to go south on Hwy 20 (Whidbey Island) and take the Mukilteo Ferry across to Everett. However, it will be considerably slower than returning to I-5 to drive to Everett.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Which Interstate 5 or 20?

There are a couple of unclear/confusing points in your post.

"We will be coming from Vancouver..." is this Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, BC?

"Which is my better option on Sunday I20 or I5 southbound at that time of year?..." I-5 is the major North-South highway through Washington State. I-20 is a major East-West highway through Texas. Did you mean SR-20?

In any event, the Tulip Festival may add additional traffic to already busy I-5, but not enough to point to it as a reason to avoid I-5. The normal traffic volumes, and somewhat boring nature of the drive along I-5 are enough to do that. :) For getting from Point A to Point B, I-5 will be generally best from a time in transit perspective.

From La Connor, you can travel on SR-20 down the length of Whidbey Island (where SR-20 morphs into SR-525), and take the ferry to Mukilteo and on to Everett. This is certainly a far more scenic route than I-5, but not a time savings. The wait for a ferry at Clinton can be considerable on Summer weekends. If you choose this route, check into the new Washington State Ferry reservation system as a means of making the time in transit more predictable.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Which Interstate 5 or 20?

I correct myself...

"If you choose this route, check into the new Washington State Ferry reservation system as a means of making the time in transit more predictable..."

The system is only accepting reservations on the Anacortes - San Juan Islands, and Coupeville - Port Townsend routes at this time. No work on if they are expanding it to other routes.

So on Whidbey on a Sunday afternoon, it will be first come, first served, and expect a wait. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
4. Re: Which Interstate 5 or 20?

I think its safe to assume that if it just says Vancouver, then its the one in BC

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Which Interstate 5 or 20?

Heh! Sez you, eh?

Reply to: Which Interstate 5 or 20?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Conner
Recent Conversations
More La Conner Topics