We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulip festival 2012

bc
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Tulip festival 2012

My wife and I plan to spend a few days in the tulip area. What is the best estimate of the best time to visit this year? Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulip festival 2012

We usually visit in mid-April when we drive up from Oregon. Our lodging choice is one of the Best Westerns on the north end of Mount Vernon, or a B&B in LaConner if the budget is a little mor flush. Favorite place to eat is Pacioni's in downtown Mount Vernon. Great pizza and other tasty Italian standards. We always stop there for lunch or dinner when on the road en route to Victoria or Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon
Washington
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,012 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulip festival 2012

http://www.tulipfestival.org/site

Keep tuned in to their site and/or email them as you wish to try, if you like, for the "height" of the blossoming.

Since it's a big tourist attraction, consider having a cooler as the restaurant lines, at times, can be long. The area and La Conner can be quite busy. If possible, come on a week day.

Edited: 24 March 2012, 10:09
Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulip festival 2012

Unfortunately mother nature is fairly unpredictable as to when the flowers will pop. Depends on rain, weather, temperature, etc.

I also think coming during the week is your best bet to avoid long lines of cars & buses full of people. It's a rural farming area, so 2 lane roads easily get backed up with traffic.

There are some nice restaurants & museums in La Conner to visit:

http://goo.gl/qS5SR

Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulip festival 2012

The Everett Herald just had a big article on this year's festival. I think they are predicting blooms mid month for tulips.

There are bloom maps online to show you where to go during the month for good views. I turn off at Conway and go up just east of La Conner. You might see some migrating snow geese or trumpeter swans if you go that way (though it isn't the peak time).

Mentioned in this post
Everett
Everett
Washington
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Puget Sound
Level Contributor
2 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulip festival 2012

If you can avoid going on a week do it. It is just bonkers on the weekend in the middle of the Tulip festival. But if you must go on the weekend get there early ... VERY EARLY!!!! The best plan would be to go on a nice day in the middle of the week and still get there early to enjoy the morning light that is perfect for that one beautiful photograph.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulip festival 2012

Just drove through there today, Sunday, April 15th. No tulips in full bloom yet.

Yellow and a few white daffs, but no tulips. Not crowded at 10:30 am.

I have been going to this area for 20 plus years, and is it my imagination that there are fewer fields being planted?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulip festival 2012

Polycoder - what fields did you visit? I agree it seems like fewer fields had flowers this year. We just returned home after spending the day there today. Roozengaarde had tulips in full bloom, mostly red and yellow tulips. The other colors there will probably be in bloom in the next week or so. We arrived at 9:30 to beat the crowds. Then we spent the afternoon in La Conner.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 06:14
Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Reply to: Tulip festival 2012
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Conner
Recent Conversations
More La Conner Topics