We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

Olympia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

My wife and I decided we had drive through Blaine too many times on the freeway without visiting. So we did. Nice little coffee shop, antique/junk store and a cool gallery specializing in Congo art. Other than that, nothing there, except police officers watching your every move. Even though I was putting on my seat belt as I pulled away from parking spot, it wasn't good enough for the officer watching me. I spent $15 on coffee and sandwich, $50 on an art poster and $124 ticket for not having a seat belt on quick enough. Good by Blaine. I ain't coming back.

12 replies to this topic
1. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:29

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
2. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

Holier-than-thou response: I do not turn the ignition key until my seatbelt is fastened. Guess that habit saves me a few bucks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

Blaine also has a notorious speed trap approaching the border which posters have warned about. Speed limit drops for 65 to about 35 really quick so slow down. No offense to the OP but you joined TA just to post that you got a ticket? Interesting

Edited: 25 July 2014, 05:03
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

Read the signs, obey the law, and you'll be fine.

Bring an attitude that the police are Nazis and that YOU can determine which laws to obey and which to ignore, and eventually you'll get in trouble.

Grow up Tim!

Olympia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

All good points. I've changed my practice and I don't start the car without putting on my belt. And I normally do that anyway, just didn't that day. But yes lesson learned. Still, for a little town that is considering changing their name to encourage tourist, yet has so much gull feces on their public dock that the sign with the dog baggies to curb your dogs made me laugh, their policing techniques which are legendary in Whatcom County don't help encourage tourism.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

can't argue with you. scam city. avoid at all costs.

1 post
7. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

I love Blaine. I go to the thousand trails almost monthly there. I have gotten a ticket for not stopping all the way at the four way. I deserved it and make sure 110% that I do now anywhere. It hurt but just like your belt it's the law!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

welcome to TA. Not sure why you added to a post from 2014 but thanks

5 posts
9. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

Always buckle up, it's the law for the pass 25 years

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
200 reviews
10. Re: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it

First time I've heard a call for gull pooper stoppers. Wonder if we could possibly train all our ducks and geese in Eugene to clean up after themselves. Maybe the Blaine honchos could redeploy their police to ticketing the gulls for littering.

Reply to: Be on your guard while driving in Blaine or avoid it
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blaine
More Blaine Topics