We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

border crossing canada into usa

sheffield england
Level Contributor
833 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
border crossing canada into usa

We are going to be travelling from Vancouver to Yellowstone and as far as a I can make out Blaine is where the border crossing is. We will probably be travelling over the border mid to late morning on 25th may this year, and wonder how busy the crossing is likely to be. We are trying to get a rough estimate so that we can work out where we ought to be thinking of staying overnight. We are travelling on the 99 in British Columbia, then onto the I5 south in Washington. Or is there a better option. This is the route that google maps gives for the journey. We are british citizens so will have to go through the whole visa waiver green form business.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
14 replies to this topic
sheffield england
Level Contributor
833 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: border crossing canada into usa

Thank you all for your welcome information. The route 2 trip looks absolutely wonderful and we have 100% decided to take this it. It was snow that I was a bit concerned about (although heaven knows we have plenty of that at home this winter so not something we couldn't deal with), rain no problem, have that all the time. Thanks for the advice about the coupons, I should have thought about that since we have had a couple of really fantastic deals on road trips in florida. Our major time problem on the first day of our journey is having no idea what time we will get off our cruise, pick up our car etc. It might take a couple of hours, might take 4 so our departure from Vancouver could be anything from 10 am to 2 pm. I guess that, since we have a full day the second day and can depart any time we like, it isn't that important how far we get. I hadn't actually realised that the Grand Coulee Dam was on this route, not until I researched it some more. Would love to take the side trip and if we get a good start from Vancouver may do so.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: border crossing canada into usa

I think you'll be surprised how fast things go when you disembark. The cruise lines work in extremely tight turn-around windows, so you'll probably be off the ship by 8:30, and depending on your choice of car company, could easily be on the road by 9 or 9:30. (There are a couple of car hire companies with offices right at Canada Place.) You'd be leaving Vancouver against the morning rush (if there's any - most ships arrive/depart on weekend days) so I don't think Spokane or Coeur d'Alene is at all unreasonable for that evening.

But of course it's your holiday, so by all means take the time to see the scenery, make stops, etc. I don't think you'll have much difficulty making your destination over two days' travel time.

Mentioned in this post
Canada Place
Canada Place
2,194 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: border crossing canada into usa

A thought crossed my mind; it might just add confusion to the mix, or maybe not...

If you take SR 9 south from the border (and incidentally "SR" means "State Route") you'll intersect SR 20 at the town of Sedro-Wooley.

SR 20 crosses the mountains through the middle of North Cascades National Park, on which some wag hung the label "America's Switzerland." (I prefer to think of the Alps as "Europe's Cascades," but never mind.)

The North Cascades Highway is generally regarded as one of America's most scenic drives, and it's surely in the running. It's closed during the winter due to deep snow, but it opens most years by mid-April, and is always open by Memorial Day weekend, which is when you'd be crossing the mountains.

The scenery is stunning, and then you drop into the beautiful Methow Valley, through the "old west" town of Winthrop, and eventually arrive at Omak, home of one of the premier rodeos and Native American tribal gatherings in the country (not when you'd be there, unfortunately.)

From Omak you can travel on SR 155 through the Colville Indian Reservation to Grand Coulee Dam, approaching from the north instead of the south (as proposed earlier.) From there you could continue your trip eastward toward Spokane.

I don't think this route would add much if any net travel time between Vancouver and Spokane, but crossing SR 20 would make for an incredibly scenic introduction to the "east side" and result in less doubling-back in terms of north/south travel overall.

From Canada Place, allow an hour to the Sumas crossing, another hour south to Sedro-Wooley, then 4 1/2 hours or so to Grand Coulee via Omak, - which would put you in the area around 4 PM. It's another 90 min. to Spokane or 2 hours to Coeur d'Alene. So making Spokane or CdA by the evening is not at all impossible. Remember days will be very long by then.

Again, sorry for any confusion this might add. Do the Google image thing on North Cascades Highway and you'll see my point, however.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 20:38
Mentioned in this post
Winthrop
Winthrop
Washington
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canada Place
Canada Place
2,194 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
sheffield england
Level Contributor
833 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: border crossing canada into usa

Looked at this route also (route 20) - also looks stunning. So many choices to get to Spokane. One thing for sure I really don't believe that the interstate has any chance at all now

Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Reply to: border crossing canada into usa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blaine
More Blaine Topics