We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

San Francisco
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

So we were on our way to the Olympics in Vancouver and we're literally 500 yards to the border when we get pulled over by a police man.

Now there was no way to see the sign lowering the speed to 35 from 60. And we were not alone. About 15 cars were pulled over for tickets. I thought they only did this type of stuff in the south.

I'm going to pay my $247. I just won't ever, ever stop in Blaine. I suggest you watch your speed going to Vancouver and don't stop in Blaine either.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Blaine
Blaine
Washington
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,020 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

C'mon, blame Blaine, blame the police (state patrol or city), blame the signs, but 60 in a 35 zone at the border is blame yourself. Hard to believe that freeway signs were not visible.

Mentioned in this post
Blaine
Blaine
Washington
San Francisco
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

Oh, I agree this is partly our fault. But really if there were 15 other folks all getting tickets it wasn't just me. It is basically a full employment option for union workers with crazy benefits in a small town. It's a racket. And it is literally within a stone's throw of the border.

Shame on them.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

I drive a bus and of course know a lot of the traditional speed traps. So many canadians speed it almost a given you will see radar befor the border. In Canada you would pay that fine for a red light camera and they do photo radar on the highway. Sort of takes all the fun out of roadtrips eh?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

I would contest the ticket. You can do it entirely by mail and the fine is usually lowered to a no-contest fee of $100 to pay processing. No ticket goes on your record. Mom of teens, done it succesfully in the past! Just write a nice letter saying you truly did not see the signs and won't do it again. Major roads are a county issue, not a city issue so it isn't the town of Blaine unless it says so specifically on the ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Blaine
Blaine
Washington
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

Doesn't work well for out of towners but in WA you have the right to a court appearance AND the presence of the tickting officer. If the officer does not show up the violation is tossed out or at least reduced. Had my son do this right after he got his license and it was reduced to safety class with no hit on record.

That trap at Blaine, as well as another at Sumas especially, has been in operation for years. Another is I-5 between Ft. Lewis and Olympia at the bottom of the hill down to the Nisqually river. Might make a good thread topic someday or maybe "Top Question" for "Where's the speed traps?" unless it violates some rule of conduct for posting.

Mentioned in this post
Blaine
Blaine
Washington
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

the surest way to get a speeding ticket thrown out is to request maintenance records for the equipment used. Officers never bring those records and equipment is rarely maintained properly. This certainly does not apply to photo enforcement.

The other point I would make is that Washington state allows what other states define as entrapment. Here they can hide behind stuff to get you.

Edited: 26 February 2010, 00:56
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

LIsten to Ainwa. I got one of those on Bainbridge Island a couple of years ago. That was her advice to me, so---

I sent my check and a letter to Kitsap Co. I never heard but check has not been cashed.

I was approaching ferry, only car on road, missed signs. And there seemed no clear reason to slow to speed I exceeded.

Mentioned in this post
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

I have to tell you that I just returned from a quick day trip to Vancouver. Approaching Blaine border the speed limit right up to maybe 1/2 mile goes from 70 to 35 then to 25. There was one warning sign saying 35mph ahead. Most people wouldn't slam on their brakes and I have to tell you without this warning I would have 'coasted' to a slower speed. After traveling 70mph to 25 is like skidding to a halt.

Coming home the cdn to US did similar but its a more gradual approach with speed bumps. No cops that I saw but others mentioned mass ticketing.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Blaine
Blaine
Washington
9. Re: Why would you ever stay or visit towns that runs speed traps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Blaine
More Blaine Topics