We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birch Bay Trip Report

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
214 reviews
Birch Bay Trip Report

We were in Birch Bay 13-19 September and spent a wonderful week at Sandcastles. Our apartment overlooked the ocean and we watched fantastic sunsets most nights (although the power lines right along the ocean front didn’t do much for it). We ate breakfast in the apartment, took a packed lunch out with us and ate our evening meal in the Sandcastles restaurant which was very good.

Our two favourite places were Blaine fishing pier where we just sat in the sun watching all the birds and Semiahmoo with all the old docks and buildings. We also saw seals, sealions, harlequin ducks and loons here and on the journey there saw an eagle and a few deer. Both places were so peaceful.

We did two full day trips, one to Whidbey Island and drove all the way south across Deception Pass – what wonderful views.

The other was to Mount Baker – a truly beautiful place – although my husband would not drive the last bit up the gravel road! It was so peaceful at the VC with not many people around. We could hear the Pikas but never actually saw one.

As well as the millions of gulls, we also spent an hour watching a Belted Kingfisher on the bridge in Birch Bay. There were also many herons, we counted 20 in one field – I think this area must be the the heron capitol of the world – lol!

We enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing week in a beautiful part of the USA.

I will be uploading photos to Flicker in the near future and will post a link here for anyone who is interested when they are done.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Birch Bay Trip Report

Your report on Birch Bay reminded me that I haven't stopped off there for a long time--must re-visit there. And I'm glad you drove up (and up and up) to Mt. Baker--I have enjoyed that area for many years for camping, hiking, skiing and photography. it's less well known outside Washington State than Mt. Rainier Nat. Park, and it's a lovely drive from Bellingham (even that last bit of gravel road, which leads to Table Mountain and great views of Mt. Shuksan, as well as Alpine meadows laced with glaciated ponds of brilliant blue...)

Cheers and happy travels, L.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
214 reviews
2. Re: Birch Bay Trip Report

Photos for this trip here:

flickr.com/photos/…

3. Re: Birch Bay Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Blaine
More Blaine Topics