We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

We're going to a wedding in the summer and with the inconsistent feedback we're seeing in the Reviews, we are looking at other accommodations in the area.

Anyone out there who can tell us if the roads leading to Semiahmoo is truly secluded (the note we got says 'woody') and quite dangerous for a night travel? We have a little 1 year old travelling with us so your opinion matters!!!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Semiahmoo Resort
Semiahmoo Resort
666 Reviews
Blaine, WA
Semiahmoo Resort
Semiahmoo Resort
#1 of 3 hotels in Blaine
Worldmark Birch Bay
Worldmark Birch Bay
#2 of 3 hotels in Blaine
Northwoods Motel
Northwoods Motel
#3 of 3 hotels in Blaine
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

It's fine--it's expensive for what you get IMO and it feels very much like a conference type of resort (which I believe is the main focus) but it's fine. There really isn't much else in the area which is why they can charge what they do.

I've never had a problem on the road at night (or during the day for that matter) and am a little confused by your question--dangerous how?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Hi northwestwanderer,

Thanks for the reply. The price is definitely steep for a 1-night stay. UGH! The reception is going to be held there and that's why we don't want to be 'forced to good' and just stay there if there can be other places to go.

The pocket of information (from the couple getting married) explicitly stated that because the place is quite secluded and 'woody' (i don't also know what that means), we deduce that it's not safe to travel from the resort to go out and drive to another place after their reception.

We were initially thinking of just staying in the hotel chains (like maybe a Hampton Inn or a Holiday Inn) at Bellingham so we can also do some shopping on the side. ;)

In your opinion, would it be worth our while if we can drive from that place (Resort) to some other hotel in Bellingham - or we just have to suck up the price for a mediocre service at Semiahmoo Resort?

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Semiahmoo Resort
Semiahmoo Resort
666 Reviews
Blaine, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Since it's just one night, I'd probably pay the extra for the convenience of not having to drive anywhere after the wedding but that's just me ;-). And I think it goes without saying that if both of you are planning to have a cocktail at the wedding then it's not a good idea to drive--that's probably what the couple was getting at. But if one or both aren't going to imbibe, and you're ok with driving a good 45 minutes or so back to Bellingham, and the price difference is big enough to outweigh the convenience, then staying in Bellingham is definitely an option to consider.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Good points there. Truth be told, we are fine with having to stay in the resort (because their wedding ceremony is another 2 hour drive!!! - but that's another story altogether) but I guess we just don't want to be so disappointed or expect more (or less) from a Resort that prides itself as "Luxury Hotel" but the actual people (per the Reviews here) do not show satisfaction from their stay; top that with a description that 'it's woody' to get there - what the heck?!?!?

I wonder if they meant that it's a rough road getting there? Anyone care to elaborate?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

It's just a normal rural, country road. Nothing remarkable about it that I can remember and I've driven it several times.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

flowerdrumsong - I believe the term 'woody' probably means it is dense forest and so very dark at night. The roads are fine, have a great time!

above Seattle
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Honestly? It's overrated. The drive is a bit through the woods but nothing out of character for the area. The last mile is on a spit of land.

I've stayed there 3 times............the 1st time was great. Two years later , the resort had changed hands & was disappointing. Went there for a New Years eve bash & the menu was limited to what they wanted to serve, & what they had was average. The suites are small but are fairly nice. The last time was the last straw. We were put in a ground room floor & were awoken to the sound of power saws & hammers from above @ 7am. When we complained @ check-out, we were offered two free drink tickets........gee, thanks.

That was 4 years ago..........maybe they've changed. I would hope so because they were about as unaccommodating as possible.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

We were birding up that way today. Ate lunch there. I don't know the derivation of the name Semiahmoo, but it certainly is "semi". Place was "dead", more staff than lunch guests, no conferences scheduled I guess. The service was not good and food mediocre. Nuff about that. The place is showing its years, with wear and tear everywhere, but most people won't notice it. The road, as others have said, is no problem, but neither is it particularly noteworthy. If you get out of the car, the birding is great on both sides of the spit. See also further south Birch Bay State Park; a pleasant drive and good birding. I agree with NWwanderer, stay there, bite the financial bullet, be among friends and family...

Mentioned in this post
Birch Bay State Park
Birch Bay State Park
87 Reviews
Birch Bay, WA
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Wow, thanks for the different viewpoints you shared here. We're still on the fence on whether to book there or not but the possibility of staying there is higher if foxisle's definition of woody in relation to the roads to Semiahmoo is right - because if that's the case, we probably are better off staying there for the night.

Mentioned in this post
Semiahmoo Resort
Semiahmoo Resort
666 Reviews
Blaine, WA
Blaine, WA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, WA - yay or nay?

Did you guys decide to stay? I live right here so I have all the juicy details... :-) The road is no big detail... and nothing around here can be considered anywhere near dangerous. There are a few blocks that the perfectly normal road goes through... nothing unusual, and very pretty. The most expensive homes in the area are all located in that area as is a golf course... a very nice neighbourhood.

The resort is nice enough. There really is no where else to stay here. You could go back to Bellingham - about 25-30 minute drive - but the hotels there are really nothing to speak of at all unless you stay in one of two really classy and even priceier resorts. Yes, this resort does have some wear and tear, and the basic room is just that, a room. Go up in room class even one step, and you'll be a lot happier. The spa is nice, the pub is nice (food nothing special, but not bad), and the view is great. It can be a very relaxing stay, but invest in a nicer room.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Get answers to your questions about Blaine
More Blaine Topics