We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

Williamsburg...
1 post
Save Topic
Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

I am happy to update this topic I came to this site just last night and was distressed to learn that it is supposedly very difficult to secure a carriage ride at CW, and that you have to arrive early and wait in a line and hope for the best.

Today, May 7, 2010, I am very pleased to say none of the above applied.

We did not even arrive to the colonial area until around noon. We reached the lumber office at about 1:20 and scheduled a ride in the Hotel Carriage (beautiful red and black open carriage) for 3 p.m.!

Each person (even infants and toddlers) pays 12.50.

I had not been to CW for about 15 years and was stunned to see the decline in tourist numbers. Don't know if it's because it's early in the season or what, but our carriage driver told us that the numbers I remember from the 80s and 90s are no more. I was really surprised.

So, if you want a laid back, quiet vacation, with kids or without, CW is a GREAT place to go. We never once had to wait in a line to see or do anything. Even the Duke of Gloucester street was quiet. It was a surreal experience. While I am sorry to see the fewer numbers, for those of us who love the place or have never visited, this year is a good time to go!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

Thanks for your post!

I am hoping to enjoy a morning Carriage Ride with my son, and we plan on arriving early. We will be there in a few weeks, early in the busier season.

Yes, Spring Break and Easter are past... And I do think that this is probably a slow week. I am thinking that things will be picking up soon! I am quite sure that there is good reason that folks have advised to schedule carriage rides as early as possible during busier times!

Yes, Historic Williamsburg is not getting quite as many visitors as they have during some periods in the past. But, by no means quiet or deserted! I found this, from a couple of years ago... Note that I also saw information which suggest an increase of 10% per year over the last few years.

Starting with the restoration of the first building in 1932, Goodwin’s vision proved to be a successful one by becoming one of the city’s biggest employers and the region’s largest landholder. Since its beginning, the 301-acre living history park attracted as many as 1.2 million paying visitors each year. During its peak, visitors would fill the village lanes, occupy hotels, and keep restaurants and other businesses afloat. However, more recently, annual attendance levels have dropped to just over 700,000 paying visitors per year, according to the Virginia Tourism Corporation.

Edited: 08 May 2010, 08:25
Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

I guess I have always gone during busier times, spring break and Christmas break but there is always a nice crowd, sometimes a huge crowd if there is a school trip there. This is particularly noticible during Revouluntionary City when everyone moves to one end of town, I always like the early mornings when the streets are quiet.Its a different feeling and I notice more of the small things.

I am glad you didn't have to wait for anything,

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

Thanks for the info. We are going in a few weeks...June 4-11. I am thinking this will be a slower period also - unless we get hit with a school field trip.

Are the carriage rides still about 20 mintes long? I am trying to get the most bang out of the $ and we are going to take in several evening programs as well... costs add up unfortunately :>(

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

Carriage rides are about 20 minutes.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

We took a carriage ride the last time we visited and enjoyed it. Practice your royal wave before you get there, though, because you will be surprised how many people will snap a picture of you as you ride by.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

Most carriage rides are 15 minutes, except for the Stagewagon and the Chariot which are 30 minutes rides. The costs are $12.50 per person (everyone over 18 mos.) with admission tickets, $20 without. The Chariot only seats two and costs $25 per person with admissions, $40 without. Carriage rides are only sold on a daily basis and are not reserved over the phone unless you are making reservations at a CW hotel, and then only on the open red hotel carriage. If you are 1 or 2 people, you may be able to get a ride anytime throughout the day, but if a family it is best to purchase tickets as early as you can in the day for best selection and seating capacity regardless of how many people it looks like may be in town.

Boston
Level Contributor
61 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

This is great information. We'll be visiting during the week of July 4th - probably a crazy time, but I bet my girls would have a blast!

Is thee a specific place where you meet for the carriage ride? I haven't been there in over 10 years.

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

You purchase your tickets for the carriage rides at the Lumber House Ticket Office right on Duke of Gloucester Street. The carriages pull right up to a hitching post very near the ticket office. You can't miss them.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

During busy times (like 4th of July week when you will visit), it's best to purchase your carriage ride ticket at the CW Visitors Center on the day you wish to ride, rather than the Lumber House. It opens earlier than the Lumber House, and there are several ticket agents there rather than the one at the Lumber House at opening. Since the tickets are first come, first get, you will have a better chance of getting the time you want to ride.

Rides begin at the foot of Palace Green near the Lumber House.

Edited: 13 May 2010, 16:04
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carriage Rides in Colonial Williamsburg

You can purchase carriage rides at any CW ticket office. VC and Lumberhouse both open at 8:45 a.m, others at 9:00 a.m. During the summer the carriages pick up at several different locations so be sure you know which one when you purchase your tickets - time and place should be indicated on your tix.