We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transponder for rental car?

Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Transponder for rental car?

We plan to travel to Virginia in October and November. We will use a rental car to travel from DC to The Williamsburg area and back. Do rental cars have an included transponder or are we required to purchase an EZ pass?

6 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,108 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Transponder for rental car?

You can drive from DC to Williamsburg without driving any toll roads. There are some Express Lanes on I-95 that require an EZ Pass if you use them, but the tolls can be quite expensive. If you just drive the regular I-95 lanes, you pay nothing.

Most rental cars are installed with transponders and you are charged a daily fee once you use them. So if you have the rental car for 10 days and only use the transponder on one day, you will still be charged for it’s use for 10 days.

If it were me, I’d avoid the Express Lanes and save some $$.

Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Transponder for rental car?

Thank you. That works for me.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Transponder for rental car?

Check with the rental car company - when I rented a year ago, I was charged only for the days I used it. I used my EZ pass going to/from DC this spring, and I was happy to pay the tolls to bypass all that traffic! Personal preference, as always.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,495 posts
3,413 reviews
4. Re: Transponder for rental car?

and I was happy to pay the tolls to bypass all that traffic

-----

Our personal choice as well

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
373 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Transponder for rental car?

Also... depending on time of day, the express lanes may not be open for your direction of travel. I'm batting 0.500 on my trips there.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
6. Re: Transponder for rental car?

Check EZpassVA.com to find out the times that the toll road changes from northbound to southbound and vice versa. Best to know in advance what your options are.

Reply to: Transponder for rental car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted