We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

Trying to quickly make plans for my mother and I. We have a D.C. trip planned for Thu, Aug 9th thru Thu the 16th. We've just decided to include Williamsburg area. With the little research I've done and little time we will have, I think we would want to start chronologically with Historic Jamestowne and/or Jamestown Settlement on Mon the 13th, then stroll Colonial Williamsburg that evening to get a look, then purchase a CW ticket for Tue the 14th. We won't arrive in the area until around 11am on Mon, traveling from DC, and will be returning to DC sometime after 5pm on Tue. For the entire trip, we are interested in history, but mostly things relating to the Presidents, Founding Fathers, and the like. We would just like some tips on how to get the most out of where we have planned and making it go as smoothly as possible, taking into consideration I will be pushing her around in a wheelchair. She can still get up and do very minimal walking if necessary. We have the CW accessibility map. If you believe this is too much to try and take in with the given amount of time allotted, please explain. If you want to throw in some must-sees, that would also be appreciated. Mainly, just want to know the best way to go about this as far as getting the most out of it, given the time and wheelchair situation. Thanks so much for your input. :)

5 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,134 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: 2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

DAVIDinShreveport,

One of my concerns is the weather in Williamsburg in August as it can be brutally hot & humid.

Kesh_grammy

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,034 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: 2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

I have to agree with Kesh_grammy’s concern about the heat and humidity in mid-August. Even though you are probably used to it in Louisiana, it will really take a toll on both of yours energy. I would not try to do too much since Jamestown and CW are both primarily outdoor sites.

Therefore, I don’t think I would try to do both Historic Jamestowne and the Jamestown Settlement. As someone who prefers the real thing, I always go to Historic Jamestowne but I have heard they do a good job with the re-creations at Jamestown Settlement. It just depends on what you want. As you can see from the link below, there are plenty of walkways at Historic Jamestowne, so you could get around fine with your mom. (They aren’t paved, but they should be fine for pushing someone in a wheelchair.) And there’s a driving route too.

https:/…maps.htm

At CW, I would definitely do the tours of the Capitol and the Governor’s Mansion and then any trade shops that might interest you. You could have dinner on Monday night in one of the taverns and lunch the next day in a different tavern.

I think that as long as you don’t try to make a “marathon” out of this excursion, you and your mom can have a good visit to CW and Jamestown.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: 2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

I'll echo the August hot/humid in Williamsburg, and that can also be true of DC. At Historic Jamestowne, the Archaerium has a wealth of exhibits and history of Jamestown, with some of the archaeology finds on display. The indoor exhibit and film at the Visitor Center there are very good as well. Both buildings are air conditioned, a plus. I'll also recommend the Dale House for lunch or refreshments. At Colonial Williamsburg, the upper floors of some of the buildings may not be accessible, but staff has photographs and such to help with interpretation. The CW accessibility guide will be of help there.

I hope you both have a good visit!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
3,388 reviews
4. Re: 2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

David,

You are receiving excellent advice.

Do consider CW dining:

Dining in the 18th Century setting is provided at the following:

* Christiana Campbell's Tavern®

* Chowning's Tavern®

* King's Arms Tavern®

* Shields Tavern®

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
276 reviews
5. Re: 2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair

All the busses kneel and the CW area is paved so a chair isn't a problem getting around.

Yorktown's VC is easy to access and the battle field has a self-guided tour so you're good there. The viewing tower at Surrender Field is a ramp so its do-able as well. The parking structure on Water St. would give chair access to the restaurants and dockside there.

Jamestowne isn't as chair-friendly. Since you didn't specify if her chair is electric, a motorized chair would be the thing for here, maybe even rent one if she's into this.

Enjoy!!

Reply to: 2-day visit to Williamsburg area w/ 93 old mom in wheelchair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted