We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Friday

Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good Friday

Will be traveling from Kerikeri to Auckland on Good Friday (2008) by the West Coast route. Was planning on stopping to see the normal visitor sites enroute. What can I expect to be open or closed on Good Friday? If Good Friday was not an issue, what should I try to see along that route?

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
624 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Friday

Hi, Good Friday is a day where most things are closed in NZ. It is a public holiday and no shops, malls etc will be open. You will probably find limited resturants open, although I cant speak for Kerikeri to Auckland. Movie theatres are open, dairys (corner stores), petrol stations. But as I said the majority of things will be closed.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Friday

Hi there

Definitely most major shops etc will be closed, however, on the West Coast route up from Auckland, there is very little in the way of shops etc anyway, so it won't be much different to a normal day.

I would expect that you ought to be able to get basic lunch in Opononi, but I would personally just take packed lunch with you and bank on nothing being open until you get to Kerikeri.

Restaurants etc in Kerikeri will mostly be open.

On that route, the Waipoua Forest area, and the Hokianga Harbour are really stunning and well worth the trip.

Its going to be a good 6 hours of driving, so quite a long day, but as I say, well worth it.

Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Friday

Thanks - thought we'd be looking at more sights & scenery than shops that day. Was thinking that having a packed lunch or at least some fruit & snacks would be a good option also. Know it will be a long day, but no motel to find. Have a familiar family residence waiting at the end of the day.

4. Re: Good Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Kerikeri
Recent Conversations
More Kerikeri Topics