We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice neeed

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Advice neeed

I am trying to plan our trip to New Zealand in March and we had planned on visiting the Bay of Islands. However, because of the remoteness to the rest of the North Island we are struggling for time, so my question is would I be missing much if we didn't go.

My main reason for going was to do the Dolphin tour.

We fly in late afternoon to Auckland so plant to stay overnight in Auckland before picking up the vehicle. The other places we plan to visit are Coromandel, Wautoma caves, Taupo, Nelson, Wellington.

Any advice appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Advice neeed

You've not stated how long your trip is. If wanting to see dolphins, there is a trip from Auckland: http://www.awads.co.nz

We loved Northland, but had 6 nights to explore. We haven't been to Coromandel, but if it's white sandy beaches you want, Coromandel peninsula has them in spades.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,718 posts
443 reviews
2. Re: Advice neeed

Are you also visiting the SI? Can you fit in dolphins at Kaikoura or Akaroa?

Bristol
Level Contributor
174 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Advice neeed

The Bay of Islands is beautiful and if you drive up there, then you must take a boat trip to see the remoter islands. However seeing dolphins is not guaranteed. There were none on our trip, and even though we were given a free trip the next day, this was not much good as we had to move on back to Auckland. It's a long way to drive if your only reason is to see Dolphins.

Also don't underestimate driving times, the speed limit is 100kph, but the road conditions are often not good enough to go that fast.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Advice neeed

Thanks for your replies, we have 20 days in all and want to do the South Island as well.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Advice neeed

With 20 days and doing both islands, you'll need to be selective with the list of places to include in your itinerary. Suggest posting your full tentative itinerary for feedback - doing that was an immense help to me for our trip last Mar/Apr. It took several attempts to get it right - but people here were very obliging and informative throughout the 'fine tuning' process.

Good luck with your plans :)

California
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Advice neeed

South Island will need about twice as much time to explore than North Island. It's larger and distances are greater between places. Using that as a standard, it leaves you with about 6 days for North Island. You really won't have time for Bay of Islands.

You'll get enough amazing experiences and scenery that in the end, you won't miss it. But you might be thinking of a second trip. ;)

7. Re: Advice neeed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2017, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands