We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a car in Culebra?

4vo
San Jose
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
need a car in Culebra?

Hi,

We'll spend 2 nights in Culebra visiting Flamenco beach and Zoni beach, snorkeling at a place very near to those beaches.

Could you please let me know if we need to rent a car or jeep.

Thanks so much.

Dayton
Level Contributor
12 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Yes, I believe you will be best served by renting a vehicle. I recently rented from Jerry's Jeeps and had a very positive experience. 787-742-0587 or 787-742-0526

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: need a car in Culebra?

It appeared to us that there was plenty of transportation to and from Flamenco from town which is all you might need for two days

There are several outstanding beaches you can visit from the Flamenco parking lot/bus stop.

Carlos rosario has spectacular snorkeling on a calm day and Flamenco also has a large beautiful coral reef.

Zoni is not as accessable.Although it is also a very nice beach,you may be happy skipping it.

4vo
San Jose
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

We'll be staying at La Posada la Hamaca, so hopefully we can get a bus easily to get to Flamenco. What other nice beaches would you recommend that we can get to by bus or taxi?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a car in Culebra?

We just returned last night and truly enjoyed this small, quiet island!

Since you are staying right in town, you could very easily get to Flamenco Beach via the shuttle vans near the ferry dock. The town is tiny and everything is very walkable.

I loved Tamarindo because I snorkeled with so many sea turtles and sting rays! Go there in the afternoon if you get a chance. Not as easy via public transport but great for snorkeling to see the turtles. Someone told me they only feed in this area in the afternoon but not sure if that is true.

We drove up a road near the museum and then hiked to Brava Beach. Beautiful but not great for swimming because of the big waves. We saw two people the entire day and they were surfers.

Flamenco is the best beach and once you go there, you may want to return the second day. Or you may meet some other folks where you are staying and then you could rent a jeep or golf cart for the day and share it, exploring a couple of the other beaches.

Enjoy!

4vo
San Jose
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Thanks so much, PDXWindJammer.

So I'll just play it by ear once we get there to figure out how to get to Tamarindo beach. You've just made me start dreaming right now.

4vo
San Jose
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Thanks so much, Tbouy, for your recommendation. Can I find Jerry's Jeep online to see what they have available, price, and such...before calling them?

Culebra
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Good morning,

Jerry does not have a website/email. He's strictly reachable by phone.

Carlos Jeep does have a website phone.

Dick & Cathy are phone only.

All three are good options, just depending on personal preference, for vehicle rentals.

Best,

Terrie

Palmetto GH, Culebra

4vo
San Jose
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Thanks a lot Palmetto Guesthouse.

If we'd just like to visit Flamenco and Zoni beach, we don't need a jeep, right?

Dick & Cathie offers us a VW Thing, convertible with canvas top, and no windows, right? So we'll get wet when it rains, right?

You mentioned we can get around fine with a car. Where can I find a rental car? Could you please give me some help for our June trip.

Thanks so much.

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Have a great time on your trip. I would recommend Carlos Jeep Rentals. They will have a car waiting for you at the airport on Culebra. Their lot is right across the street from the airport. Their Jeeps are 2 or 4 door. Zoni Beach is about 4 mioles away, so the jeep allows you to haul all your supplies and stay dry in case of a shower. They also rent golf carts. You can find them on the web. Google Carlos Jeeps and Culebra. The costs are about $65/day. Joe

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: need a car in Culebra?

Oh, regarding Carlos Jeep. The Culebra number is 787-742-1040. Joe