We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health insurance info

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Health insurance info

The last few times I have been to cuba ( there last March) was not asked about health insurance... Has anyone been asked.?

and how much is the departure tax?

St.Jerome, Quebec
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Health insurance info

I went to Holguin in November and wasn't asked for proof of insurance. Departure tax is 25 CUCs per person.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Health insurance info

In my experience they only ask for proof of insurance when you extend your visa...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health insurance info

Very few have been asked. Its mainly for the Cuban Americans that are travelling. I hope you have appropriate insurance for your trip though.

Cheers

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health insurance info

Never been aslked either but i would not travel without it. Have had to use X2 in 6 trips!!! and they would have been very costly....

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
277 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health insurance info

We were not asked either. It really doesn't matter whether they ask or not, as it is just common sense to have insurance when stepping foot outside of Ontario. I work in the insurance industry and can tell you I've seen claims in excess of $25,000 just for a broken leg. If you have insurance through work, call the insurer and ask for a letter which confirms your out-of-Canada insurance for you and anyone on your plan who is travelling with you. They should provide this no problem. You never know, it is required to travel to Cuba, so they have the right to ask for proof. If you have coverage through Great West Life, you might run into a bit of trouble because their travel service provider has ties to the US, so coverage is not accepted in Cuba. GWL may have fixed this since, but good idea to check with them before you go. Enjoy your trip! Wish I was back there now........

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health insurance info

For 7 days, RBC charges 80.00 +/-...what a steel and that's for "a family". You disburse 0, they pay all dierectly to the doctor/hosital etc. You don't need to deal with RBC, just called 1-800-769-2511. Don't buy it from Travel Agent, they take a surcharge, buy direct form RBC..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health insurance info

racer

Hate to burst your bubble but its the same cost at a TA as it is through RBC, or at least it was for us. Just saying.

Cheers

Kitchener, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Health insurance info

For Cuba, if you are asked for proof, your Canadian Provincial Health Card is enough for them, however, do not expect if you need medical attention that your province will send a guarantee of payment. You WILL be expected to pay upfront and submit when you get back and you very likely will not get the full amount back. You definitely should buy medical travel insurance, if you do not have coverage through your extended benefits at work! And always travel with the contact phone numbers for your assistance company and policy information.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health insurance info

Well, now I am confused. Over on the Lonely Planet forum, Greslogo has posted today that provincial health cards are not accepted as proof of insurance. But I have always read on here that they are. Also, my employer's group insurance webpage has stated that a provincial health card is all the proof of insurance you need.

So which is the fact? I realize that provincial health care is not sufficient travel coverage, but there seems to be some conflicting information on what Cuba will accept as proof.

Kitchener, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Health insurance info

I work for a travel insurance company. A year ago Cuba changed their entry rules and deemed for Canadians that proof of provincial health care coverage (your health card) was acceptable proof of insurance and enough to enter with. I have found most places (including my own travel agent) had no idea that this change occured.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco