We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to have lunch?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to have lunch?

We will be stopping by Martigny tomorrow on the way to Zermatt, what is a good place to have lunch? I have been in Switzerland for 3 days and have not had any rosti yet, so I can be easily persuaded because I love potatoes! Is all the rosti in Switzerland cooked with cheese, as in the cheese is what holds the potato pieces together?

Also, are apricots in season yet? I read that there is a farmer's market which happens on Thursdays, so I missed that. I am sure there is somewhere I can buy some wonderful local produce?

2 replies to this topic
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
645 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to have lunch?

Hambagahle, as Martigny is your stomping ground, this is a good question for you to answer.

I've had rösti at several places in the Bernese Oberland and none that I've had has had cheese in it. That does sound good though!

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,756 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to have lunch?

I don't know anywhere here in Martigny where they serve Rösti. But you will get that in Zermatt...

apricots are not yet in season in the Valais and given the lack of sun this spring I rather think the crop won't be great and will be late.

For lunch: The nicest restaurant in the centre of town is la Vache qui Vol - their menu is very diverse and I haven't had a bad meal there yet. The restaurant is on the Place Centrale and has a lovely terrace. Les Touristes, near the hospital, is also good and also has a terrace. The Kwong Ming chinese restaurant near the Place de Rome (huge parking area) is pretty good. Funnily enough the "Collier d'Or" at the Museum of St Bernard dogs is not at all a bad place either!

Reply to: Places to have lunch?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted