We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EHIC card medical bills

Grimsby, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
EHIC card medical bills

morning all, went to Corralejo last year and had to visit the medical centre twice. I produced my EHIC card but have just received 2 x invoices (in Spanish). Having difficulty sorting payment, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, should I have received a bill at all? and do I have to pay and then claim it back?? HELP!!!!!!!

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
848 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EHIC card medical bills

Was it a private medical centre?

I think the EHIC card only entitles you to the Spanish equivalent of their NHS medical centres so that may be the reason you've been invoiced.

Corralejo, Spain
Level Contributor
295 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EHIC card medical bills

Which medical centre did you go to ? If you went to the Centro de Salud (NHS equivalent centre) then you should not have been given any bills... however if you went to a private clinic (ie. Brisamar, etc) then bills are possible, but they should have asked you to pay whilst you were there, not months after...this seems strange to me...

Grimsby, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: EHIC card medical bills

thanks for the reply. yes it was the CENTRO DE SALUD. have found treatment sheet and it does say privado on it. (didn,t notice at the time as my grasp of spanish is very limited to say the least!) still cant understand why tho as the first thing i was asked for was my EHIC card.i only had a temporary number as my new card was in the post(new card on the doormat when i returned to uk) but they tapped that in and seemed happy with it.any advice would be welcome! cheers!

UK
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EHIC card medical bills

Can you claim off your travel insurance?

This is some information from the EHIC website:

"The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one. For more information read our advice on travel insurance"

Also

"It is important that you ensure that you are treated by a state healthcare provider as you will not be covered for private healthcare. You should be particularly careful if the healthcare arrangements have been made by a hotel or travel representative"

There is a helpline number - it mightt be worth a call to check if they could help. Even though your invoice indicates it was 'Private' if they took details of your EHIC number they may be only invoicing you for the section of your treatment which was not covered under the state healthcare scheme and which you could claim on your travel insurance (if you have any).

Overseas Healthcare Team on 0191 218 1999 (Mondy to Friday, 8am–5pm). You will need your National Insurance number and UK bank or building society details to hand.

Good Luck!

Edited: 12 September 2012, 19:57
Grimsby, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EHIC card medical bills

thanks for the info bud

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EHIC card medical bills

Hi

As you did not have a current valid card....just a temporary number you will be billed.....the bill should have a return address on it simply photocopy your VALID EHIC and passport and post back to the Spanish return address.They can then bill the NHS for the cost of your treatment.They cannot bill the UK unless they have a photocopy of a current EHIC card .....the UK will not pay without this.

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EHIC card medical bills

Also it depends on if it was an ´´emergency´´as only emergency treatment is covered......i.e not coughs/colds/flu/delhi belly/etc.

It has to be classed as an emergency and even then any follow-up treatment can be billed....which is why the UK Govt. recommend additional medical insurance.

You should ahve been told by the Centro de Salud that you had up to 28 days to forward them a copy of your new EHIC before any action would be taken.....they probably did but in Spanish.....not a lot of help if you don´t speak the lingo.

Plus the budget for the Canarian health service has been cut dramatically recently due to the recession by billions of euros and there is a major clampdown on people using the EHIC cards.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 21:09
Grimsby, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EHIC card medical bills

thanks for that lanza. very helpful x

grimsby
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: EHIC card medical bills

carl r

if your going again on the 5th try not to break your wrist or anything

10. Re: EHIC card medical bills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 14:46