We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

Some of the recent reviews on TA have been scathing. One in particular from triplethrees an American was appalling (although I reckon he was expecting 3* All Inclusive in Majorca to be as good as 5* All Inclusive in Mexico!).

I have stayed in Mirlos twice, admittedly late September when quieter, and although I agree with the dated bedrooms/thin walls/poor lifts accusations there is no way I would mark it 1*. A good 3* for me.

bigscouse won't be happy-he might even be out there now!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,637 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

Reading through a few reviews, it appears that people are expecting a lot more for their money than a 3 star hotel and what it offers. Maybe this is because holidays aren't as cheap as they used to be, maybe because of expectations from other all inclusive resorts such as Mexico. But most complaints seem to be about the lack of space and sunbeds round the pool, a common complaint in a lot of hotels in high season. There are complaints about long waits to get drinks, again, a common complaint, and not sure how this can be remedied, if more staff were employed that would raise prices. Some complaints about cleanliness, now this is something that is unacceptable, no matter what grade hotel you are in it should be clean. But then again, in a lot of places the room is clean when you arrive, and all you get during the stay is a quick flip around the surface. There are notable exceptions to this where cleaning is constantly to a high standard throughout the stay, but I have found this tends to be in the more expensive hotels.

There are still some very satisfied customers leaving reviews, so surely it can't be all bad, but I agree, when you are watching hotel reviews and there is a spate of bad ones, it is worrying.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

I'm there on Monday WS . Will give feedback when I get back . As you say , some people expect too much . As long as its clean and the food is half decent then I will probably be satisfied . As you have probably gathered by now , I dont spend much time in the hotel even though it is AI , so i wont be complaining about lack of sunbeds

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

Have a great time kev.Look forward to a review from a regular contributor like you.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

We stayed there 7 - 18th July and found it as good as ever, making allowances for peak season.

It's not the hotels fault that occasionally some guests check in that don't have any manners. The worst of these were swiftly dealt with by security.

Sunbeds were indeed locked up until 8 am, we was on our balcony laughing at people sitting waiting down by the locked up stack from 6.45am, we would just go down at 7.55 and help ourselves, no problems. It's true that there aren't many parasols, we had an elderly gent with us so we just bought one from the local shops, €8 I think.

Food good as ever. One lunchtime it was hot mussels followed by swordfish steaks, with puddings and wine that's a €25 pp meal just there on it's own.

So IMO it represents good value.

I also think the american reviewer hasn't been to Spanish all inc before as he says that the room safe is always included, - I think it's truer to say it's NEVER included.

Yes the evening entertainment area was busy and it's hard to get a seat, but it's july and peak season, not sure what people expect. Some long queues at the bar at times, but always moved quickly, no probs in my book.

We'd go again anyway.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,971 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

My daughter is going there on the 8th so I will be interested to see what she thinks of it .

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

bigscouse won't be happy-he might even be out there now! LOL (the football season has started, no chance of me going away during that)

actually we decided on holidaying somewhere different this year (Shock horror, no Mirlos/Tordos this year)

having been to Mirlos/Tordos for the last 7 years, during this time the hotel has changed so many ways, some changes have made a great difference (the outdoor pool areas etc) however with this it has also created a number of problems, the biggest being actual space for & the actual number of Sunbeds (and the actual lack of sunbeds especially in high season)

I have mentioned the Sunbeds issues and problems and the history in reviews with the hotel and what used to happened (the doors being locked to the terrace area until 08.00am) and no one was allowed onto the terrace area until the staff gave the nod. over the last 3/4 years whilst the problem seems to be getting worse with people reserving sunbeds, the hotel has tried various options and implemented various options, but these never work as people still reserve there spaces with either chairs or towels

personally I think the hotel needs/should invest in more sunbeds, one of the biggest gripes in reviews is lack of sunbeds or space, sadly there's not much the hotel can do about the space problem, but they can invest in sunbeds (also sun shades/brolley's)

earlier this summer we stayed at another SOL hotel, (in Salou) whilst it was so different from Mirlos/Tordos in many ways, one thing that was clearly obvious, there was plenty of space around the pool area, no matter what time of day you tried there was always "PLENTY" of spare sunbeds

over the years and prior the the peak season, a common complaint is Hen/Stag groups, now the hotel is a family themed hotel, whilst this may create a bad impression and spoil things for some families however no business is ever going to turn away business, when ever we went in mid July, I only ever witnessed the odd group and very rarely did they cause any problems

on the odd occasion when people did cause any problems, when reported or when witnessed by the staff action was always swift and in some cases resulting in people being removed from the hotel (I have witnessed this several times over a number of years)

people often complain about waiting times etc, yes at times these can be lengthy, however if people paid attention, rather than talking in the queue, may be the waiting time wouldn't be as bad, as for staffing etc, maybe the hotel could employ more staff, but again there can be 500+ people in the evening, its not rocket science to expect to wait, yet people complain about this

I agree with comments by WS and Annabelle,

I personally think and find Americans to be particularly picky/fussy both when writing reviews and in expecting good customer service, a number of years ago we went to a hotel in Florida (Kissimmee) going by most of the American based reviews, we where going to one of the worst hotels in Florida, yet we (English) actually though the hotel was a very good hotel with several plus points, when you go to America, Customer service is a high priority in any walk of life, you can tell this by how people react to you in general

again with money, with things costing so much more (people are already complaining about next summer prices for the hotel) with people not holidaying abroad as often as they would like, people want & expect so much more, so when problems arise, these often reflect on people reviews

on a slightly different note, the Hotel we stayed in earlier this summer, a number of reviews at the time of booking it where very negative, between booking and the week before most of the reviews actually got worse, so much so we almost cancelled the hotel the week before arrival, hence to say upon arrival the hotel was no where near as bad as most of the reviews and we thoroughly enjoyed not only the hotel but the facilities if offered, however we certainly missed the Mirlos/Tordos in so many ways

The Mirlos/Tordos also has a Facebook page and it appears there's a "little" negativity appearing on that as well, with similar comments about Sunbeds, service etc

things this year appear to have hit a new low, with people reserving tables with towels for the evening entertainment, however I believe in recent days/weeks the Hotel has taken action on this

The whole idea of reviews is to give your opinion, whether others agree or like it, well that' another thing

would I go back to Sol Mirlos/Tordos, to right I would, we have had to many great holidays there, to let a number of negative reviews/comments spoil if for us, yes the hotel has a few problems, but all hotels have problems, especially during peak season

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

In short WS . There is nothing wrong with the Sol Mirlos Tordos . Just got back and had a great time . Food was great and cant complain about anything else . As you say , great value for money . Review coming soon .

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

Good to hear kev.Welcome home.Was the hotel chokker? Were you in Mirlos or Tordos?

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

Hi WS , was in the Tordos . The hotel didn't seem crowded , probably a good time to go . Must say that the restaurant was probably the most hassle free one that i have stayed in . Easy to get a table and no waiting to get to your food at anytime , so maybe the hotel was not full . Only had 4 meals a day though : )

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What has gone wrong with Sol Mirlos/Tordos?

over the the years we went, almost every year there was always a main issue/moan call it want you want

from stag/hen parties, lack of sunbeds, people reserving sunbeds (despite the hotel chaining them up)

despite the moans etc, every year the hotel is always full in peak season

you still get many, many people returning year after year

you will never get 100% on reviews, some people will always find faults, whether its deserved or not, some people complain about the food, yet others praise the food

Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations