We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little cons to be wary of.

Banbury
Level Contributor
261 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Little cons to be wary of.

Hi forum, just returned from a 4 day break to palma nova and just thought i would share a couple of little cons that you might want to be wary off.

Firstly nearly all the bars have special offers during the day and evening including two pints of local lager for 2-2.50 and 2 pints of Carling for 4 euros etc. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is a good deal as you are actually receiving 22% less than you would in the UK, as the glasses used are 440ml instead of 568ml which is a standard pint. Bars that are guilty of this include Reflex, Cheeks,Banana Joes,Juanita Joes etc.

Also we found that the football cards they offer (where you pick a team and you could win 60 euros) is also a con as they already know the winner and the PR staff are always the first to pick a team and it is always the winner.

Mentioned in this post
Banana Joe's
Banana Joe's
160 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

Hi smiler

The glasses are and nearly always have been smaller in spanish owned bars but in fairness most only write the word pint in the way that they mean large if you can understand what i mean .

I am amazed also you didnt mention about cost of drinks because many tourists dont realise a half [small] beer is usually only around 10 cents cheaper than a pint [large]

Dont forget also in palma nova money change places ask how much in hand for what you are changing 2/3 of them offer mega exchange then give you a lot less when you query it they point to a very little sign saying on amounts over €1000 then say the transaction has been done so will not give you money back .Eerly this season 1 place offered €1.29 but actually gave .95c to £ so caution needed

i hope this helps

moocher

Level Contributor
54 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

Surely two large beers for roughly £1.60 is still a steal. In my local at home that would struggle to get you a half!

3. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2012, 17:38
Edited: 16 June 2012, 17:38
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

<<Don't be fooled into thinking that this is a good deal as you are actually receiving 22% less than you would in the UK, as the glasses used are 440ml instead of 568ml which is a standard pint>>

The word ´pint´ is just used in bars to mean a large beer not the UK imperial measure - it is just a word holidaymakers can relate to more than the Spanish ´jarra´; it is not meant to con visitors. In fact some Spanish bars offer ´large pints´ and ´small pints´ to differntiate between a large or small beer!

Edited: 16 June 2012, 17:40
Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

Zonecrew .....

I totally agree with you..

Two pints of local beer.....oops I mean two large beers.....lol...for 2Euros!!!

Now that is a steal and the local beer is excellent........especially when I struggle to find my favourite Carling Premier out there where two pints.........(there I go again......lol..) ....two large ones cost about 7-8Euros !!

There are plenty of bargains to be had....for sure..

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

In the UK, if you advertised 'pints' and then served Spanish measures, trading standards would be down on you like a ton of bricks.

In Spain, no-one gives a monkeys. :-)

Have to say though, that the Mirlos Tordos, as part of the all inclusive, offers proper pint glasses for the beer, just ask for 'Grand-ee'.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

I'm sure that the pints on offer in 99% of places are about 500ml not 440ml! As in Half a litre!

Also, is a small beer more than our standard 'half' IE about 300-330ml?

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

'In the UK, if you advertised 'pints' and then served Spanish measures, trading standards would be down on you like a ton of bricks.'

Nah, more like 958kg of bricks!!!

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

:-) They certainly make up for it when they serve 'shorts' though ;-)

Banbury
Level Contributor
261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little cons to be wary of.

Don't think for a minute that I am complaining the prices are still good value but I would prefer the advertised them as large beers rather than pints , as for a previous poster saying you get 500ml in 99% of places well all I can say is that we visited probably 20-30 bars in palma nova and magaluf and only one was serving proper pint glasses/ 500ml all of them were 440ml

Edited: 19 June 2012, 03:06