We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

lancashire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

We were discussing this earlier today so I thought I would put it on here to advise people visiting this hotel as I believe its a bit of a rip off!

A lady comes around the pool area and talks about prickly heat sunburn etc and blames it all on the "high street" sun creams we all use and that she is a "free" service and if you or your children suffer from any skin problems to come and see her.

My little girl had prickly heat and so we went to see her thinking she may have a cream we could buy.....she told us her prickly heat was caused by factor 30 suncream so to get rid of the prickly heat we should buy her suncream, some aloe vera gel and some rosehip cream off her all for the bargain (not) price of 60 euros!!!! She advised to treat it we would have to purchase the 3 bottles. She then told me about a tanning oil she has also 60 euros which would make me a deep dark colour, I tan very easily anyway and said that people have a certain amount of melanin in their skin and either tan or dont and no amount of oil would make them darker, she said thats not true and she could make a pale ginger haired person a deep dark colour!!!! Unfortunately for her I studied skin diseases and disorders many years ago and knew this was not possible so did not fall for her "sales talk" however some people may be sold these overpriced products so I thought it was fair if I put it on here.

Oh and for my little girls prickly heat I bought calamine lotion for 7euros from the chemist and it went overnight!!

York
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

Thank you for this message. We are off to Palma Nova next month and as I sometimes get prickly heat I would probably have purchased her lotions and potions. I will watch out for her and be aware. Thanks again

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,639 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

loyd, a very good warning. You can't be too careful with your skin, and especially a child needs a high factor sun cream. I wonder how many people she has caught with her 'free' service.

By the way I do like Aloe Vera gel, and buy it from the perfume shop, costs just a few euros, but good to apply instead of after sun, or just if your skin feels a bit irritated.

Maybe her 'tanning oil' was fake tan?

lancashire
Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

I would just like to point out though from what I gathered this lady is not employed by the mirlos, rather just a sales rep who is allowed on the premises.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

loyd32,

I find your post so amusing, as no sooner as we arrived, and we where forewarned by my daughters friends who had arrived about a week earlier to us.

so these had obviously witnessed what you state as well

any how during our time there I watched & witnessed her doing her sales pitch, then waited and watched till another "sucker" was convinced to part with approx 100 euro's for a "guaranteed" ever/long lasting "BROWN" tan

as Joe Royle (Ricky Tomlinson) would say, My a@se

must say as well my daughter also got caught by the prickly heat rash, after speaking to Sara (customer services management) we went to the local chemist and paid £10.40 euros for some cream, no doubt the sun cream advisor would of stung us for her special package of 100+ euro's

as she often stated I guarantee you I will cure your sunburn within 60 seconds, but she never once broadcast how much this wonder cure would cost

my daughter and her friends on facebook are taking the mickey out of her now as well

oh and your right as she often stated, she is there as a service provided by the hotel

Edited: 16 August 2010, 03:17
dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

These people travel round all the Hotels inywhere in spain. They have benn doing this for years, and plenty people fall for it and buy of them, instead of usingtheir common sense!11 L.O.L

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

Aloe Vera cream is a superb moisturiser and quick remedy for prickly heat or sun burn. Use it in conjunction with a good sun screen. Put it on wet skin as you come out of the shower and the effect lasts all day.

Not sure about Majorca, but down here it is available on every market for just 1 Euro a tub; it really is excellent.

port talbot
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

after suffering with prickly heat for years and having tried many treatments with no cure i called in my local health shop where she advised me to try sulphur tablets, natural no side affects and cheap, i take them for 3 days before i go and 3 times a day while on holiday, i can honestly say i have never suffered with any skin rash since, i have reccomended these to lots of people and they seem to work for everyone.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
957 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

I am so glad other people think this is a rip off. We were absolutely amazed at the amount of people throwing away full bottles of perfectly good suntan lotions they had bought from home because she told them they would not protect them.

One mother of a family on the sunlounger next to us was flapping, saying "we have to get rid of this, dont use this cream anymore" she then sent her husband to go up to the room and get 70 Euro's so they could buy her stuff. She told me I should do the same........mmmmmm whatever, I wasnt born yesterday.

The number of people who fell for her pitch was unbelievable.

When she was peddling her wares I am sure she used to open the pitch with "the Sol Mirlos pay for this service" ? After a few days as soon as I heard over the mic "Hi I am Dee your suncare advisor" I had to put my earphones in & turn the music up LOUD !!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
957 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

By the way a great aloe vera gel is Banana Boat. They sell it in Boots & Superdrug, a small bottle is about £3.50 that lasts a few months with regular use, I got a big bottle for about £6 last winter, I use it as every few days as a moisturiser after showering, I still a third of a bottle left, a little goes a long way. Good stuff !!

lancashire
Level Contributor
18 posts
10. Re: Sol Mirlos skin care advisor!

BS

Your right she did "guarantee" she could make the sunburn go, however if she is that good why were her own back and shoulders burnt to a crisp lol?!

I agree that aloe vera is good for sunburn, but according to her shop bought aloe vera is full of chemicals and her`s was pure and natural and as aloe vera can dry the skin out we would need to buy her rosehip to to rehydrate it afterwards.....total scam!

lil-miss-sunshine, just had to laugh you just reminded me even more with "hi I`m dee your sun care advisor" LOL!

Edited: 16 August 2010, 14:44
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations