We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back!

algarve
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
just back!

just returned from palma nova,and had a fab time. weather was superb for the whole 2wks.first time to this area and was quite surprised to find how quiet it was,especially at night. we stopped in the torrenova area,and by about 12ish it was dead. spoke to someone working in a bar around the corner from the blue bar and they said the season this year started on the 1staug and ended on the 20th? he said the bars were struggling due to a lot of the hotels going ai.found it busier if you were in the area past the santa lucia.moocher,if you read this could you tell me if im right to say the start of the strip going in to magaluf is by the poco loco bar, im asking this because i couldnt work out exactly where magaluf started and ended. anyway hope to return next year because we had such a good time, nice beach, plenty of walks on the front. what more do you want from an holiday!!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back!

these days its hard to define 1 from the other i allways say magaluf starts at mulligans on the corner then head towards the punta ballena.

i have been telling people for weeks now how quiet it is this season its scary my friend who has a bar is 50% down this year its looking bad so hopefully we get a busy end to season

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back!

Moocher, i think the credit crunch we're experiencing in the UK will be reflected in bookings abroad, same as it is in new car sales, house sales etc.

The price of food and drink has rocketed in Mallorca over the past 3 or 4 years, I eat out every night when I come over, and the prices have gone up 50% in the past few years. That kind of rise coupled with the economic situation in the UK will lead to a downturn in trade, maybe it's time for bar and restaurant owners to start getting back to making going out whilst abroad and attractive proposition, instead of hammering peoples wallets.

When I first came over to Mallorca six years ago the apartment I stayed in cost me £500 a week, the same apartment is now advertised on holiday rentals.com at £1500 a week!!!

You cannot justify those sort of increases and this coupled with the food and drink costs will keep people away.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back!

mark i totally agree with you i try to use the cheaper local bars ,the 1 i mainly use charges me euro 1 for a bottle of san miguel i found out off a member he went in on my recomendation and was charged euro 1.75 so it seems every 1 is at it trying to take the tourist for a quick buck .i took my family out down to magaluf last nite we had a meal in palma nova then walked for a drink into magaluf in a bar that i wont name we got 1 mojito's,2 cokes, 1 carpriana,i bottle san miguel .the girl brought our drinks with 5 FREE shots also a FREE jug of cocktail we asked for niether she then told me our round of drinks was wait for it euro's 26 well if thats the price of so called free drinks i wont go back lower the price and stop the freebies

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back!

oh and by the way i can not get used to cirro's having a pool table outside brings the tone down

algarve
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back!

must admit we foumd it expensive.dread to think how much money we would have spent if we were self catering.in future i will have to get my wife drinking the san miguels instead of the magners at 3euros fifty for a small bottle!!

Liverpool
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: just back!

I have just returned from a lovely 2 weeks in Palma Nova. Weather was lovely first week but started to turn on the second week, we still made the most of it though.

I agree with this post, it has gone so expensive I was shocked. We went half board and I was so grateful for this. We ate out once and thought never again and made the most of the half board facility at the hotel. Hopefully when we go away again it will be better......am tempted to go all inclusive on my next holiday.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back!

must agree with you re prices.we in palma nova in feb and april,and soon for a week in mid oct.but this time we have booked a/i,do prefer the freedom of s/c but we had a good deal so we just booked up then and there.could have got the holiday a bit cheaper if we had booked our own flights and the same with the hotel,but paid a few more quid thru a travel agency and paid on the credit card just to be covered a bit more just in case any more companies crash.can't wait as we both love palma nova,bye

8. Re: just back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:49
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations