We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

North West England...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

I booked direct for a holiday in mid Maty 2019 and paid a 450 Eros deposit, advised. It would be returned in full less 33 % admin charge if a cancellation was received prior to 3 months of arrival date .

So in December I had to cancel via email due to unforeseen circumstances .

An automated reply came back saying the hotel was closed .to reopen in March ,

But what about my deposit I thought ?

So I rang but despite being told I was in a queue the line went dead .

Surely you would have thought someone would be attending to emails at some point even if the hotel itself is closed ?

Have the hotel the right to make me wait for my money until they reopen ?

36 replies to this topic
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
18 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

If they’re completely closed which is pretty common, although some do have maintenance crews working on refurbishment and some do have skeleton admin staff, short of going out there and knocking on the door I’m not sure you’ve got any choice but to wait. What hotel is it?

North West England...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

Thank you yes I would have thought someone would be attending to office matters even tho the hotel itself is closed . My money tho that they're holding ? Then they're going to charge me 33% admin .

I don't think it's appropriate to disclose the hotel name btw.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
18 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

I take it the hotel is not part of a group then?

Edited: 12 January 2019, 17:48
Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
17,156 posts
51 reviews
88 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

Why not - if your problem is genuine Casmana? There is only a problem naming names if what you are saying is defamatory! Please give the name - who knows - somebody might know an alternative contact point for you.

If no joy getting a reply, I would contact your credit card provider immediately and explain the position, provide copies of the booking T&Cs and your email correspondence and get THEM to help get you your money back

Edited: 12 January 2019, 17:53
North West England...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

I thought it unecessary to name names . However given that I'm not being defamatory it's the Son Matias Beach and I paid with my preloaded Caxton MasterCard , not a credit card .

North West England...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

Another puzzling thing is why the automated voice on the other end of the phone tells you you're in a queue then after you've waited .... it goes dead .

I mean how is the hotel taking bookings?

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
18 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

It’s all done via a computerised booking system these days, they have no need for anybody sat there taking the bookings... and much the same, they obviously have a queueing system on their phone system, not much use with no one there to answer it

North West England...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

.Thanks for staying with me on this . I'm now questioning their policy of charging an admin fee when they're clearly not there but holding the customers'. money .

Tynemouth, United...
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
194 reviews
123 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

Hi Casmana. I would be spitting tacks if this happened to me.

Have a look at this website:

https:/…

If it were me (and I am absolutely no expert in this but filling out one of these customer complaint forms worked for me recently) I would:

1. Write to the hotel (by post as your previous email hasn’t been answered, or try both) setting out what action you have taken so far, but to no avail;

2. Tell them you are dissatisfied and ask them to send you a customer complaint form;

3. Tell them that if they do not refund your deposit immediately, IN FULL because of the inconvenience they have caused you, then you will send the form to the consumer office for them to investigate.

Let us know if you do it and if it works as it could help others.

....... just a further thought. You don’t say when in December you emailed them. If it was towards the end, then Christmas and the Three Kings holidays could have delayed things and you might want to give it another week or so to give them a chance to get back to you.

Edited: 12 January 2019, 20:50
North West England...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .

Thanks for your supportive post ,spitting tacks eh ? I will get a letter off on Monday afternoon regarding what you’ve told me if I haven’t heard back via email .

Reply to: Hotel holding holiday deposit not open .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations