We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

I am trying to plan our trip to Salema from Porto. We will be staying in Vila Nova De Gaia (Porto) close to General Torres station. I was thinking between 3 ways to get there:

1) train all the way

2) Bus

3) Plain

Look slike the train option might be the easiest way?

I went to http://www.cp.pt/ to find out how to get to Lagos, and entered Vila Nova de Gaia as origin and the schedule shows me the "from" station is Devesas. Are they the same stations?

Thank you

Olga

5 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,464 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

Yes it is. As far as I know the Intercidades to Faro does not stop at General Torres station.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
2. Re: is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

Ok, thank you.

I was thinking to go from general torres to vila nova De gaia (devesas) - I think there is a direct train from there to tunes. Is this right?. I also noticed they call it Gaia?

If I take a direct train to tunes, then travel time shrinks to 6 hours.

Thank you

Olga

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,817 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

Yes there are two direct trains from Vila Nova de Gaia Devesas to Tunes, although one is very early in the morning. There are three other trains from Vila Nova de Gaia to Lisbon Oriente, with connecting trains from there to Tunes. The direct trains take 5 hours and 2 minutes, not 6 hours.

The distance from General Torres to the other station is about 1.7km - or you can take a local train of course!

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
4. Re: is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

Thank you for your reply.

I am leaning towards the early direct train to Tunes ( 5 hours without switching). The issue is i dont think the local trains from General Torres are running that early to catch the 5:52 train from Vila Nova de Gaia?

Do you think we can walk there (with luggage on wheels) or should we take a cab? Will the cab do that?

Also, when I said 6 hours, I meant 5 hours to Tunes + 1 hour to Lagos. As opposed to 8 hours if we take connecting trains in Lisboa.

Flying probably is not worth it with getting to the airport: 40 min, check in: at least 1 hour in advance, flight - 1:10, and then getting to Lagos from Faro: 1:30 = 5 hours at least 

Thank you

Olga

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,817 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?

There is a train from General Torres to Devezas at 0513am on weekdays. The next one is too late.

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…linha_aveiro.pdf

I have never used a taxi in Vila Nova de Gaia. The 1.7km was by road. I don't know if there is a shorter way by foot.

Don't forget that you must have reservations to board the 0552 to Tunes, which you can perhaps obtain at the Devesas station some days before travel. At the same time find out if a short walk is feasible, taxi etc etc.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 00:16
Reply to: is 'devesas' station the same as 'vila nova de gaia' ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vila Nova de Gaia