We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to naxos

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Getting to naxos

Not many travel firms seem to go to much accommodation in naxos, any suggestions?

22 replies to this topic
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
1. Re: Getting to naxos

One of the things I like about Naxos is there aren’t any large package holiday companies operating there. It’s so easy to book flights from the UK to Athens, Mykonos or Santorini and a ferry from there to Naxos, that you can do it yourself. I would rather deal directly with accommodation owners than through a travel company.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,149 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Getting to naxos

We have been to Naxos twice in last 4 yrs.. and returning this coming May ( 2019) .. we didnt use any package or travel agent. We flew into London and spent some time there.. then got an Easyjet flight to Mykonos.. spent a few days there , then took ferry to Naxos.. ( 1.5 hours.. Blue Star Line) .. bought ferry tickets at ticket agents all over Mykonos ( mostly by harbour).. easy( we go in low season.. once in May and once in Sept. if going in july or august many people suggest pre purchasing ferry tickets) ..

Naxos is a lovely island.. town is filled with little shops, narrow pedestrian only passages.. many little tavernas and restaruants.. but nothing like Mykonos which is much much busier and more expensive.

Both times we stayed at the Kyamata hotel.. once in rooftop room ( which is amazing) and once in standard room.. both were very clean and had good ac. Steps from a very nice beach.. Family run , good included breakfast if you book directly with them.. staff go out of their way to be helpful.

Standard rooms were small but well equipped.. cheap too.. think last sept we paid 50 euros.. Rooftop rooms are bigger( can sleep four but we were just two ) .. and have 180 or more degree views.. stunning.. worth every extra penny ( check out photos on tripadvisor or any booking site) .think we paid 105 euros a night.. !!!!

There are many equally nice hotels ..

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Getting to naxos

Thanks, very helpful

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Getting to naxos

Hi snake

It is more expensive than just a straight flight to say Crete. Accommodation in the Cyclades is generally more expensive and Mykonos eye watering. Also there are variables like staying the night on islands with the airport as ferries can be late. Only recently heavy seas stopped ferries for several days and another time there was a strike. If you want a package there is Sunvil or Olympic one more expensive than the other and they have to sort your flights and transfers and prices fluctuate. Not quite so easy doing it yourself for the first time

Edited: 09 November 2018, 14:13
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Getting to naxos

Thanks delboy, think I'll just stick to other Greek islands!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Getting to naxos

Thomas Cook also do a package there. We've booked to go mid May with them. I was a bit nervous to book independently as it's our first visit to Naxos :)

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Getting to naxos

your be fine jude, it was the same for us but enjoyed the place. It's just making that further effort to enjoy a more relaxed resort

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
8. Re: Getting to naxos

After a couple of trips to Greece with tour companies I decided to try winging it independently. I arrived in Athens with nothing pre-booked, and caught the first ferry to leave Piraeus for the Cyclades. This was in late May, and it was very easy to find accommodation upon arrival on each island. If I didn't like the hotel, I could check out the next morning and find something better. That was the most fun I ever had on a trip to Greece!

That may sound like I was a teenaged backpacker, but no, I was in my 50s at the time. Nowadays I do research and pre-book rooms, but would never go back to using a travel company. Once you find out how easy it is to make your own arrangements, and how much more flexibility it gives you, you will probably go independent too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Getting to naxos

I agree with Heindall, it's very easy and no need whatsoever to pay a 3rd party for things you can simply do yourself, and the planning is all part of the fun (or the "not planning" if this appeals also).

Edited: 09 November 2018, 15:19
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Getting to naxos

I love planning holidays 😀 I've booked independently to Crete, where we've been many times, and also short breaks to Athens and Thessaloniki as well as city breaks in France and Spain. I think if/when we think about visiting Naxos again, or any other island, I'd look at going independently, the choice of accommodation is so much greater, but for our visit next May decided to go with Thomas Cook staying at Perla hotel, Agios Prokopios.

Reply to: Getting to naxos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations