We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windy day in naxos

London, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Windy day in naxos

Hi

We couldn't get on our ferry to milos today due to the high winds. We've been in naxos for three days already and have walked all over town, did a Koufonisia day trip and went on a bus to villages Apeiranthos, Filoti and Chalki. The next two days look like high winds again (northerly) . Can we still swim and snorkel in high winds and if so, where is recommended? Or what else can we do for the next two days?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks

Chris

5 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
142 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Windy day in naxos

You could also visit some more villages, the kouros in apollonia etc. But other than that I’m also very curious to other suggestions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Windy day in naxos

The sheltered area of the port is usually quite calm in high northerly winds and still good for a swim, i.e. if you are walking to the Portara, on the left side of the causeway.

Greece
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Windy day in naxos

What about a cultural visit at the Venetian museum Della Rocca-Barozzi?

https:/…1003375

http://www.levantineheritage.com/karavias.htm

I really enjoy it👍

London, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Windy day in naxos

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. We ended up doing very little and just relaxing at hotel and catching up on admin including visiting the port authority to obtain evidence of ferry cancelation for insurance purposes. The winds were too strong for swimming. We walked to st George's beach and the no swimming sign was out yesterday. Today, we managed to paddle in the afternoon briefly but Water was cold and sun only out briefly. We did visit the catholic church and nearby museum next door. And walked around town some more with a spot of shopping.

We now have exchanged our ferry tickets to leave hopefully tomorrow morning to Santorini. Fingers crossed, although weather looking like thundery showers.

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Windy day in naxos

We found the Archaeological Museum in the Castro a good activity today, in a downpour. Great collection and I recommend it for others when the weather doesn't accommodate swimming.

Also the Folk Museum (also in the Castro district) has a lovely, small collection, and Vassilis, who runs it, is great to chat with. He kept us engaged while we waited out the rain :).

Reply to: Windy day in naxos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations