We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to granada

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
trip to granada

is this safe? are their local guides?? i love traveling to the unexpected and am ok with less then luxury accommodation but would like safety assessment and locals to guide me. everyone knows having a local guide is what truly makes you "safe". have traveled to places suxh as thailand and rural guatemala, so I'm no Cinderella but would appreciate honest opinion.

9 replies to this topic
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: trip to granada

Hola Jessica.

My name is Byron and i am a local tour guide with knowledge about all Central America, any business in Granada or Nicaragua will love to have you as we have over 3 month with no tourist due to the civil unrest that we are having, but even many government run places as national parks museum etc are open and they want that everything looks just fine, things are not completely normal, people do not feel safe going out at night and about lodging please check before coming if the place you want to stay is open as almost 90% of the Hotels are close and about 50% of the restaurants, but please if you want to come to Nicaragua please practice lots of common sense while her.

Kind Regard

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: trip to granada

thank you for the information. i appreciate the candor.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: trip to granada

Jessica: We are intouch with famiily in Managua, Nicaragua, and things below the surface are what is most scarey.. The "government-police-paramilitaries" or whatever, have no rules that govern them right now, so if you get into any type of trouble (and the definition of that you may not know...it might be because they think you look like a student!!) you likely will have little legal protections or proper justice and the US embassy is very limited. (If you want to follow the news, go to La Prensa Nicaragua..use Chrome and click on the translate button on your tool bar or when you right click.) They are still searching out university students for past protesting to take them into custody, even though many are suffering injuries (remember, there are reported over 400 dead and potentially 2000 injured)...it seems like something of historical or bibilical times, genocide redefined in taking out the intelligent ones. I love Granada and was just there in late 2017. Was walking freely around the UNAM area and metrocentro and all the tourist areas. So sad to even think about how much and fast everything changes for what seems like no reason except defense of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness that all parties should want.. Some of my favorite clothes right now, I bought in the malls there. And still drinking a great bottle of rum and have Nica coffee. Now, without regard to the current state of affairs, based on two of my visits I thought the country could do a lot lot more to clean up the garbage in the streets, spend money on improvements of streets, traffic control, and just beautification. I even constantly smelled smoke in the air, starting right when I got out of the airport....Must be from all the open fireplaces. But, I was really sick of stepping over plastic and garbage on sides of streets, etc. There are few decent sidewalks that weren't in need of repair. And there must be no housing controls, because anyone can put up four walls of metal and call it a house. I know this is unfortunate for those families on limited income, but come on. So hope for the country to get back on track, get modernized and back to productivity. Let's hope for peace and freedoms for sure. I still want to slide down the volcano ash!!! And take the horses around the Masaya lakes. .

Edited: 17 August 2018, 08:55
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
338 reviews
4. Re: trip to granada

Jessica, I emailed my ex Spanish school in Granada to get a local as in not hotel point of view. Granada is ok right now and some night life is returning. There are some peaceful protests happening from time to time.

I am booked for January and am watching it closely but as of now have maybe moved into the will likely go category. I would not want to go to Masaya and will be asking the people I know there in Granada advice. I will only be in Managua at the airport hotel.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
53 posts
885 reviews
5. Re: trip to granada

Jessica,

I was in Nicaragua, including Granada, in March of this year with a group of college students for whom I was responsible. We had a native guide with us for the entirety of our time in country, including from the Managua airport, Granada, San Juan del Sur, and Omatepe Island. This is a trip I would repeat in a heartbeat. I want to emphasize that never once did I feel unsafe. Nicaragua is a beautiful country with beautiful people inhabiting it. I have a few reviews here on TA which I encourage you to read. By the way, I didn't notice the garbage or metal shacks or the burning smell another person mentioned, so hopefully that was temporary. Of course, you should proceed with caution, but remember that we've got some pretty sketchy places here in the U.S. I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy it as much as I did. I absolutely loved it there.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: trip to granada

Things slowly are going "Back to normal" we still have in the country human right and AOS organizations trying to get democracy back to the country, we do not have any shortage of products at supermarkets, restaurants are slowly open again, bars are staying later at night, national parks or natural reserves are open, some hotels are trying to open againa but of course there is still some repretion agains those who took part at the protest but so far there has not being any tourist harm, if you want to visit the country please use common sense when travelling around. If need more hwlp or updates on how is the situation of the country feel free to write me at byronortega@hotmail.com or whatsapp me at 505 88039312

God bless Nicaragua

Kind regard

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: trip to granada

I am still intending to visit in November ! Any suggestions of how best to use my time in Granada appreciated :)

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: trip to granada

How long do you have? Will you only be in Granada?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
53 posts
885 reviews
9. Re: trip to granada

I highly recommend a city tour. Please refer to my reviews of Nicaragua in general and Granada specifically. Definitely Cafe de Sonrisas. The night volcano tour is amazing. Go out into Lake Nicaragua if you can. Have a great time - I loved it there.

Reply to: trip to granada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Granada
Recent Conversations