We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Ptuj, Slovenia
12 posts
Save Topic
Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Can someone please tell me if the piste from Midelt to Tinghir via Imilchil is passable (tomorrow) for a motorbike? Some told me that it is no problem and others, that due to floods it isn't possible. Or maybe a website where I could check that?

Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

What bike are you riding, how much offroad experience do you have and are you solo or in a group?

I've asked on HUBB whether anyone has any recent experience, check replies at horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/morocco/cirque-de…

Only the first part is piste, the rest is now tarmac (sad face). I've uploaded a map to my website so you can understand the route, see morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/midelt-imilchi…

Midelt is at the extreme top right, Imilchil is at the extreme bottom left. The red route is the piste via the Cirque de Jaffar, initially it passes the Jaffa Auberge where you could enquire about conditions. The piste is initially fairly easy, the difficult bit is where it descends into the cirque just before it joins the other piste coming in from the north, see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPczzfIPLs

I was in Morocco six weeks or so back and there was a bad storm in that area with much flooding, and hence damage to pistes, see Todra video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt8XDmedHX0 . Hopefully any damage will be repaired by now.

I have some photos of the route from Imilchil towards the Cirque (i.e. opposite direction to you), see morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

When you get to the spot shown in the last photo, showing 'Cirque 26 km' you need to turn south, which is hopefully signposted Imilchil. From Imilchil to Tinerhir, photos at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Edited: 11 November 2014, 00:51
Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Ptuj, Slovenia
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Thank you for your fast response and help.

We are a couple on a ktm adventure 990 with some experience, but we would prefer easier route, because we will be fully loaded (2 side cases and a top case).

If conditions are ok, would you reccomend Cirque de Jaffar or R706? (and then on R703 to Tineghir)

Probably (if no one answers about conditions) we will drive to the Jaffa Auberge as you suggested and then decide.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

I don't think you should attempt the Cirque. The descent from the Midelt direction has lots of places where streams have brought down stones from the left and it's very much a 'roller coaster' with a drop off on the right. It's a route that is more suited to my KTM 690 Enduro. I have done it on bigger bikes, but I wouldn't want both luggage AND a pillion passenger, even if the piste is repaired.

The R706 via Rich is an easy tarmac route, quite nice, but the northern 'E13' route shown on my map and my webpage is much more spectacular. You can do this as all tarmac.

From Midelt go north west along the N13 for about 12km, then take the P7310 turn off to the left signposted 'Ait Oumar' (also known as 'Ait Omghar'). GPS waypoint N32 42.540 W4 52.111

(If you are coming from the north, the turn off is to the right, about 7km past Ksar Timnay hotel.)

After 13.3km fork left at N32 38.832 W4 58.553 From there it's easy, follow my previous instructions.

But please let me know how you get on, whichever route you go.

Edited: 11 November 2014, 02:04
Mentioned in this post
Ksar Timnay Hotel
Ksar Timnay Hotel
81 Reviews
Aguelmous, Morocco
Ptuj, Slovenia
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Thank you for the advice, we will go for the E13 and will let you know how it went (perhaps day after tomorrow, depends on the net connection in our hotel :) ).

Thank you again!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

well adviced by Tim, agree with him, as i would suggest the road from Zaida via Boumia, the road which is not in good condition according to the floods and the rian is tha road that is passing by Anfgou, but if you take the road that entering Imilchil from the west entering on the Tislit lake where the Auberge Tislit is that's a good one, but for off roads Tim can give an advice about that.

Ptuj, Slovenia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Experts2013, I am sorry that we didn't see your post before, although I am not sure which road do you suggest.

Yes, the road just before Agoudim is gone (aprox. 5 km before, exact coordinates are N 32,42989 W 5,15694). Until there the road is fine, where it starts to go by the river is quite damaged from the high water and nearby torrents but it is still passable with a bike or car (on some parts it is really narrow, for bigger and heavier vehichles questionable). From the above coordinates road vanishes and we think that it is not possible to go further with a car (big rocks, soft river bed gravel). We managed with KTM adventure 990 (fully loaded, pillion passanger on foot), so I think that for bikes is doable.

Then it follows few meters of road and at coordinates N 32,42726° W 5,15669° (big curve) again road under a lot of material from side torrent. There we went on the riverbed, because it was easier than to go over the pile of rocks that were on the road (passenger still on foot). From that point on, the road is ok a few hundert meters and then it suddenly ends (be careful!), but it is a way around couple meters on the right. And you are then just before the Agoudim.

From Agoudim to Imilchil the road is fine, sometimes there is some gravel or low water running (few cm), but passable without a problem. From Imilchil to Tinghir is even better road - mostly dry, from time to time gravel (leftover from the river flowing over the road).

Bottom end - Passable with bike, not with a car (perhaps big jeep could do it?!?).

My only concern is, that this is the possibility only with low river level (few cm). When it gets higher (rain, snow melting), perhaps it will be too dangerous as some water streams now run on the ruined road. Also - not sure if and when they will fix all the damage...

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

So you had some fun then? Glad you got through OK. I've added the damage waypoints to my map.

It probably won't be long before a temporary fix is in place. Thanks for coming back and reporting. Have fun for the rest of your trip. Where are you headed next?

Ptuj, Slovenia
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Yes, we were sweating a bit :) not a problem, we will be glad if the information will be useful for someone.

Now we are in Tinghir, tomorrow we are going to Merzouga, then we will roughly go Zagora-Ouarzazate - Marrakech- west coast (aprox. down to Legzira beach) - back home.

Thanks for all the help and information!

Eva&Andrej

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Thank you for the Update Eva, and hope you enjoyed your adventure, so we hope this will help anyone that will plan the same route through that pass, that region is virgin very authentic Morocco.

Rabat, Morocco
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation

Dear alll ... some really useful info on roads in Morocco here. Thank you to all. I plan to drive by car from Imilchil to Tinghir but it does not look advisable? We have a 4x4 car and three children. Am

I right that it is untarmacced and no sure to pass by car in places?

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Reply to: Midelt-Imilchil-Tinghir road situation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Midelt
Recent Conversations