We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End March trip

Taghazout
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
End March trip

Does anyone know if the road from Midelt to El Ksiba is as bad as it looks on the map or could I get my Renault Logan down it? It looks interesting and off the beaten track but I am in charge of three friends so I don't want to get stuck! Any thoughts. Ros

5 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,435 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End March trip

I guess you are looking at the Michelin 742 map which shows a series of black 'bad road' dots. Michelin does a terrible job of updating its map and these roads were resurfaced five or six years ago.

I'd encourage you to try some more interior routes. When you get to Tizi n'Isly you could turn south and head up to the 'plateau du lacs' around Imilchil. From there you can head south on really good roads to Agoudal, Ait Hani and then down into the Todra Gorge.

Alternatively, if you really want Midelt to El Ksiba I could recommend the most scenic road in Morocco. Halfway between Midelt and Zeida there's a road to Ait Orrhar which joins up with the newly surfaced road through Agoudim, Anemzi and Anefgou and comes out near Imilchil from where you can head north west to El Ksiba. If you are interested I can give you detailed route instructions.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Taghazout
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End March trip

Thanks so much for that information. Is there a better map? You are right about that Michelin map - I have had so many problems with it but was told that it was the best. When travelling in Oman we managed to get our hands on some army maps - do they exist here in Morocco? Actually, it sounds like you are probably the best map!

We are planning to set out from Agadir to Merzouga then up the Gorges du Ziz and then across to the Fes Marrakesh road and back. Any off road ideas are fantastic - we were thinking of three/four nights away.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Agadir
Agadir
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,435 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End March trip

The Rough Guide map (http://tinyurl.com/67ylcbz) is the most accurate and is printed double sided on plasticised paper so is easier to handle and doesn't tear. Michelin 742 is the second best. All of the others commercial maps are pretty useless and way out of date. One of the problems is the scale of road building currently going on in Morocco with 15,500 km of new rural roads by 2012.

Are you planning to take the more northerly route via Ouarzazate, Boulamne and Tinerhir? If so you should certainly visit the Dades Gorge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HubhLxG4tN4) and travel 60km up the gorge as far as M'semrir. You have to retrace back again as there's no viable through road for cars.

After the Gorge du Ziz, I'd suggest you turn left at Rich and take the lovely R706 across to Imilchil (loads of hotels plus FUEL), then north on the R317 almost as far as El Ksiba but before you get there turn left on the R306 towards Bin el Ouidane reservoir which is really beautiful. After there, head south west to Azilal (FUEL) on the R304, then divert north for 15km or so to the Cascades d'Ouzoud (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bpjkSMomFY). After than head for Demnate and visit Imi n'Ifri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlEgmpaCOT8) before heading for Marrakech on the R210.

All these roads are good and fairly easy to navigate. I've stressed the fuel stops as otherwise you might run out!

Edited: 22 March 2011, 15:13
Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Paully
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: End March trip

@Tim,

the route you describe from halfway Zeida - Midelt to Imilchil, would that be the cirque de Jaffar route? If it is, can it be done in a Logan ? If it is not, can you provide more details ?

Thanks,

Paul

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,435 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End March trip

The Cirque de Jaffar most definitely CANNOT be done in a Logan, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPczzfIPLs Even 4x4s have difficulty due to a rock fall obstructing much of the track at one point.

The route I described is tarmac for much of the length and is fine. Tell me which direction would you be going and I will give you instructions.

Reply to: End March trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Midelt
Recent Conversations