We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dullesto Reagan during morning rush?

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
295 posts
219 reviews
Driving from Dullesto Reagan during morning rush?

How long, would it normally take, to drive from IAD to DCA? Plan on leaving Dulles around 7:30am taking the toll road to I-66 to Jefferson Davis Highway. Will this be the fastest route?

3 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Dullesto Reagan during morning rush?

Are at least 2 people traveling? Inside the Beltway, I-66 is HOV-2 during weekday morning rush hour, so unless there are at least 2 of you in the car, you can't use I-66 beyond I-495.

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
295 posts
219 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Dullesto Reagan during morning rush?

Yes...there will be 3 of us.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
121 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Dullesto Reagan during morning rush?

Then, yes, I would recommend you go the way you described.

I see from Google Maps that they describe the route with the terms you used, but it's not entirely accurate. The road from Dulles Airport is the Dulles Access Road and is not a toll road. It's a special road available only for those going to or from IAD. Also, you will be exiting from I-66 to Route 110, not the Jefferson Davis Hwy. Route 110 will eventually lead you to Route 1 which is the Jefferson Davis Highway through Crystal City just before you get to DCA. I just don't want you looking for signs saying "Jefferson Davis Highway" when you are on I-66 because you won't see any.

Plan on this trip taking at least 60-75 minutes at that time of the morning. You will move quickly on the Dulles Access Road but you are going to be in really slow traffic on I-66 since it's rush hour.

Reply to: Driving from Dullesto Reagan during morning rush?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted