We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clamming and Crabbing in Virgina

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
Clamming and Crabbing in Virgina

I am taking my mother on a "bucket list" trip to clam and crab in Virginia. We will be driving in from Richmond September 6th. Can anyone recommend 1. a location and 2. a tackle/bait shop that possibly does guided tours. Thank you for your help.

Westampton, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clamming and Crabbing in Virgina

Contact Captain Barry at 757-336-6508. He does a trip where he explains about clamming and crabbing. Might be a good place to start.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clamming and Crabbing in Virgina

Thank you. Does he actually take you out and allow you to do both or just tell you about it?

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
505 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clamming and Crabbing in Virgina

Hi-

Although I love Captain Barry & highly recommend his tour - it's not a fishing/clamming tour at all. His is a wonderful, eco-minded tour for families & kids of all ages, where you get your feet wet and have fun in the marsh.

For what you need, try either Captain Bob's Marina on the South end of Main St (they rent skiffs, tackle, sell bait, etc) or Captain Steve's Bait & Tackle on Maddox. Either of those places will be able to give you hints on where to go & what's biting, and if you want to get a spot on a fishing charter, they can make good recommendations. There are several charter fishing boats that go out daily, so you should have a great time. (I like to clam on Tom's Cove, right behind parking lot 1 on Assateague.)

4. Re: Clamming and Crabbing in Virgina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2017, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island