We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat tours necessary?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Boat tours necessary?

We're coming down in August, and initially I was considering booking a boat tour to get a better view of the ponies and maybe some dolphins, despite the fact that I am a terribly motion-sick person. Now that our vacation is getting closer, I'm starting to chicken out. Here's what I'm wondering: while staying in Chincoteague, we've also planned a day trip up to Ocean City MD and the MD side of Assateague. In your opinions, will that be enough of a pony experience for me to warrant not doing a boat tour? Or is the boat tour a must-see while on the island? Thanks for any replies!

Daisey's Island Cruises
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Captain Dan's Around the Island Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Saltwater Pony Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat tours necessary?

Nothing's a must if it makes you feel ill! You;ll likely get a good view of the ponies on the Maryland side. Also consider the nature tour that's run by the Chincoteague Natural History Association. It's done in a comfortable bus, great photo ops of not only the ponies, but also some of the other wildlife that call Assateague home - sika deer, white tail deer, many birds, etc. http://www.piping-plover.org/refuge-bus-trek/ The guides are knowledgeable and can point out things you might have missed.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
505 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat tours necessary?

I second the bus tour! it's very reasonable and you will most likely get close up pony views. You can also usually see ponies grazing from the road that leads to the beach - just to the right after the Refuge building.

Finally, since you're coming in August, you're in luck! The babies that are too young to leave their moms will be at the carnival grounds. You can visit with them quite comfortably on Chincoteague Island!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat tours necessary?

Thank you so much! I didn't know about the bus tour, that sounds fantastic. And the babies at the carnival ground are now a must-see while we're there! I'm going to forget the boat and take advantage of those ideas, thank you!

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat tours necessary?

Last year in June, we loved our Chincoteague trip without seeing that many ponies. It's a nice, relaxing town. Nice restaurants, boating, & gorgrous sunsets over the bay.

Cheers! ----- Ken

5. Re: Boat tours necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island