We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two questions...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Two questions...

...LIVE soft crabs. I'm sure they are sold somewhere on or off the island. Can anyone suggest a place(s)? If you know the current price please share that also. It's mid July and they should be running now.

Secondly what's the current thought on Steamer's AYCE restaurant? I don't need suggestions for other places to eat unless it's AYCE. As with most places you have people saying it's the best restaurant in the world to it's the worst restaurant this side of China. Any honest thoughts here?

Many thanks for the responses! See you this Thursday!

Build Your Own Cookie
₹, Fast food, American, Street Food
Sea Star Cafe
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Cafe, Soups
Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
525 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two questions...

Restaurant reviews are always subjective! I can vouch for the bar at Steamers - it's where the locals go during the winter and the bar food is great. I've never done the AYCE thing since I can pick a crab in about an hour (I'm sloooow!) I think you'd want to try Ricky Howard on the corner of Main & Beebe or his brother, Gary Howard on Deep Hole Road for soft crabs. Happy eating!

Clark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two questions...

I did the Steamers AYCE a few years ago. It was loud and sloppy, just like it should be. Got as many crabs and shrimp etc. as needed. I would do it again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two questions...

Thanks everyone! Apparently the soft crab season runs April through June. Only frozen available. AYCE at Steamers was $45 for blue crabs, snow crab legs, shrimp, friend clams and awful corn on the cob. The service was nice, liked the food and liked the trash cans right next to the table. It was sloppy but like jim said "just as it should be!" One thing I noticed was the seafood on sale wasn't cheap! Lobsters are cheaper in the Annapolis area!

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
4. Re: Two questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island