We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info about Chincoteague Island visit please

Virginia
Level Contributor
919 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Info about Chincoteague Island visit please

We are thinking of visiting Chincoteague for a long weekend in late August. Can anyone share information on any of our questions?

What is the drive from the Washington. DC area on Friday night in late August?

We are leaning toward the Hampton Inn, any reason not to, or better choices?

If we are considering a boat trip to look for some ponies should we book that in advance or once we get there?

Are there any "musts" as far as restaurants, bars, or activities?

Thanks very much!

Roy

Virginia
Level Contributor
682 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info about Chincoteague Island visit please

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and it was a very nice and clean hotel. You might want to ask for an upper floor as we ended up on the first floor right by the breakfast area and would have preferred an upper floor also for the view from the deck.

We took Captain Dan's tour and enjoyed it. We did arrange ahead of time.

I don't have much input on restaurants as I wasn't thrilled with any of them except the ice cream place which was great.

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info about Chincoteague Island visit please

We enjoyed Chincoteague last June. The Hampton looked like a nice place. We rented a condo at Sunset Bay. It was beautiful. Next door is the Fairfield Inn. The pool & views of the bay are great there also. Awesome sunsets.

We enjoyed these restaurants. AJ's on the Creek, Bill's Seafood, Pico Taqueria, Jackspot, Don's, & J&B Subs.

The best ice cream on the planet can be found at Island Creamery.

Have a great trip!

Cheers! ------ Ken

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
506 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info about Chincoteague Island visit please

The Hampton is a nice large hotel. I personally always book my family & friends at one of the locally owned hotels on the island. My favorites are the Refuge Inn (located close to the Wildlife Refuge entrance on Maddox) or the Waterside (located on South Main Street near the Carnival Grounds). If you prefer the proximity to the refuge and the beach, try the Refuge. If you like a sunset view every evening and a walking distance to the downtown shops & restaurants, try the Waterside. Both owned and run by local families.

My restaurant picks depend on what sort of experience you're looking for. Most Chincoteague eatieries are casual and many of the best food can be found at take-out spots. Woodies, Up Your Alley, Poseidon's Pantry - all great places to pick up a mean that you can enjoy at a waterside picnic table. Hope your visit is a good one!

4. Re: Info about Chincoteague Island visit please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island