We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos on Chincoteague

The Berkshires
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitos on Chincoteague

We are thinking of renting a house on Chincoteague at the end of August, but all the talk of mosquitos is scaring us away. Are they REALLY as bad as they say? Are they just out at night or are we talking all day long, even in the sunshine, even at the beach?? Is it possible to take a walk without being eaten alive? Everyone is posting that the island is a wonderful vacation spot, but then saying the mosquitos are man-eaters - how is that enjoyable? We'd appreciate some feedback.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

The mosquitoes correlate directly to the amount of rain and standing water that is around, and the heat. We have had a record amount of rain on the island, so if the weather is hot, remains humid, and there is no wind - then the mosquitoes will be terrible!

However, if it is cooler, and there is a breeze, they are tolerable and can be dealt with.

I suggest lightweight clothing -- but long pants with socks and shirts with sleeves. The beach will have a breeze -- I have NEVER had a mosquito problem at the beach -- but everywhere else can be an issue.

If you are renting a condo, be sure it is one with a screen room or screened porch. If you are in a motel, make sure that the room has screens and/or good air conditioning.

Chincoteague is a WONDERFUL vacation place -- but I will not lie to you and tell you that in August the mosquitoes can indeed be bad -- and they are almost everywhere except at the beach.

Carry bug repellent with a high degree of DEET in it, wear the right clothes, hope for a breeze, and enjoy yourself!

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

On our last vacation to Chincoteague which took place in July we had absolutely no problems with mosquitos. I don't think it can really be predicted in advance. We have been to Chincoteague several times when the mosquitos were bad but not so much as to spoil our vacation. I once read somewhere that mosquitos were attracted to the color blue but I don't know if that is true.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

If you like to hike or bike ride on the refuge - do wear repellent and carry some with you. A lot depends upon which direction the wind is blowing - I agree with Racing Moon that I've never had mosquitoes at the beach, mainly due to the winds. If the wind is coming off the bay, the Main Street area is also pretty good. But in the woods, there are often bugs - and poison ivy too. So just be aware and prepared with proper attire and repellent and you should be fine!

The Berkshires
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The bugs are pretty bad here in New England, so we are used to spraying ourselves to walk in the woods, or sit out at night... it sounds like Chincoteague is not much different. Our rental house has a screened porch, and we'll hope for dry weather! Thanks!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

Anybody have a "favorite" mosquito repellent that they recommend?

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

Whatever has the most DEET in it works the best.

It may not be the most ecologically sensitive thing to use - but it works better than ANYTHING else!!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

I know that the DEET is the key ingredient, but are there any brands that feel less sticky/oily than others? We don't really have mosquitos at home, but every time we go to mosquito country, I feel sticky the entire time. Last time we were in Lousiana I remember hearing radio adds for some mosquito repellent that was supposed to be nicer on the skin, but I don't remember the brand. There's got to be decent stuff out there though.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

DEET isn't sticky - is the stuff they put it in.

Look for something that isn't scented or thick.

I've had a lot of luck with the sticks -- look like old fashioned deoderant sticks.

I think the brand is Bucks -- sold to hunters and at sporting good stores.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

Fairfield Cnty, CT
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos on Chincoteague

Some years ago, my husband and I drove all the way from NY to Chincoteague. We had planned to do some camping at a campsite on the dunes. We got out of the car, the mosquitos were all over us in about 30 seconds, we got back in the car and drove back to NY!

Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island