We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chincoteague third week of October

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
Chincoteague third week of October

Just starting to look into this for the third week of October. Will the boats still be running? Are there a lot of mosquitoes? Any suggestions for this time of the year? Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Clark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
402 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Chincoteague third week of October

I never went in October, but I suspect mosquitos won't be an issue. Frankly, even at their worst, mosquitos are only an issue in marshy areas and on the Refuge. October should be good crab and oyster season though, and the weather should be not be cold.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Chincoteague third week of October

Thank you!

Chincoteague...
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
553 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Chincoteague third week of October

The boat trips will run through the fall, weather permitting. Usually, October is lovely! You may need to bundle up out on the water, but sometimes it's warm enough for a beach day! Rarely any mosquitos. The Oyster Festival is on 10/6 - so you'll miss that - but there will be a Free day on the Refuge on 10/14 - passes to Assateague will be free for the day. On Saturday 10/20, there's a Farmers & Artisans Market at the CCA Headquarters in the morning & the Island Coffeehouse starting at 6:30 PM. Usually the Coffeehouse is a really fun evening with performance, art, food & drink with my favorite friends. CCA Headquarters is on Church Street. Also - not sure of your planned dates, but the CVFD Fall Pony Roundup is scheduled for Friday, October 12 & Saturday, October 13. Here's a link that tells all about that: https:/…

Hope you have a fun visit!

1 post
4. Re: Chincoteague third week of October

I know this is a late reply, but I don't fully agree with previous assessments.

I camp at Assateague almost every year in mid-October. I can tell you the weather fluctuates wildly. One year it can be in the 80s in the afternoon and the 50s at night. (Gorgeous.) Other years, I've seen afternoons in the mid-70s, but if the wind kicks up, we've woken to 38 degrees and blowing a near gale. In fact, I've found the wind is the biggest issue there in the fall if you're a tent camper. I mean the kind of wind that will blow pots and pans off the table and rattle your tent all night. Unrelenting 20mph with gusts above 50... sometimes for days.

Now, the good thing with the wind is it keeps the vicious mosquitos away; the same if it gets really cold. Otherwise, be prepared to be viewed as dinner. I'm from Jersey, where the mosquito is the state bird, and I still think the chances you'll battle mosquitos is 50/50. And if they're still around, those beasts are big and aggressive.

Best you can hope for (and often are blessed with) is warm afternoons with SE wind and very cool and calm at night.

That said, if you're a hearty soul, you can't beat that time of year--crowds mostly gone and never hot-hot. If you time it right, you'll catch the end of the Monarch butterfly and tree swallow migrations, and there are usually a few pony foals around too. I love that time of year.

Clark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
402 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Chincoteague third week of October

In all honesty, I don't think the original post sought info about camping on Assateague, which is obviously a different experience than visiting Chincoteague.

Reply to: Chincoteague third week of October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island
Recent Conversations