We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting vineyards

chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting vineyards

We will be arriving in Cville late morning during the week; would like to visit some vineyards that afternoon (next day will be at Monticello). The private tours are more than I'd spend. We are not newbies to vineyards having visited CA and some in France and Italy. In general, are the tasting rooms open or must one arrange appointments? I haven't searched the vineyards yet by name; at first glance, none was familiar to me. Any favorites to be recommended? Thank you.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting vineyards

www.visitcharlottesville.org. Punch up this website in your browser and it will give you a list of wineries, cideries, and breweries in the area - 30 pages worth, so many you won't be able to cover them all.

I've never been impressed with the vineyard at Monticello - thought it would improve over the last 20 or so years - never did. However, the seeds and plants you can get at the gift shop bred from TJ's original stock is magnificent - adds a few bucks to the value of the old homestead as well!!

If you want to go further afield, put "Virginia wineries" into the ol' browser for a complete state map of wineries.

Salude!!

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting vineyards

There are many wineries in the area, and for most, you just turn up and decide if you want to do a tasting., and some offer tours. Some are a bit remote but also offer fabulous views. The history of some is pretty interesting on their own. We've enjoyed several.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
71 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting vineyards

I am partial to the Early Mountain Winery north of Charlottesville and easy to find from a main road, Route 29. It is newer with beautiful architecture, and a large outdoor seating area with a view of the mountains. Wine is good, too.

Mentioned in this post
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,649 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting vineyards

Pollak

Pippin Hill

Blenheim

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting vineyards

Barboursville was my favorite. Jefferson was also good. Trump was ok; nice building but the wine wasn't my style.

6. Re: Visiting vineyards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2017, 06:08
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting vineyards

Our favorite is King Family Vineyard near Crozet. The setting is absolutely beautiful, and on Sunday afternoons May - Oct there is polo (free admission) which is very popular and fun to watch. There are very often wedding that go on somewhere on the property but as far as I know generally that does not affect the tasting room's being open.

Virginia
Level Contributor
702 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting vineyards

Totally agree with the above re King Family. Beautiful grounds, great wine, and just a great place to hang out. You can bring your own food and there is plenty of places to sit and hang out. Honestly no other winery compares for me.

VA
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting vineyards

If you go just past Monticello, you will come to Jefferson vineyards. Don't miss the Viognier! They have a nice seating area and some adirondacks under some shade trees.

Keep going on that road and you will come to Trump. Wider selection and wider range of styles but they have a full kitchen for lunch. Just up the road from Trump is Dave Matthews winery -- Blenheim. Fewer wines, not a dud in the bunch -- and some nice views. Quaint tasting room

Keep going on that road you came from (watch for the zebras grazing at the farm on your right) till it ends on Route 20. Turn right and go a few miles and turn left on Red HIll Drive (signs for Wisdom Oak winery). Wisdom Oak is truly off the beaten path...I hear its better under new ownership

Red Hill will take you to 29. Turn left to go south to Pippin HIlll

That should hold you....

10. Re: Visiting vineyards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2018, 09:46