We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Colonial House Inn and Motel in Weston Vt.

Berkshires
1 post
Save Topic
The Colonial House Inn and Motel in Weston Vt.

NO AIR-CONDITIONERS IN ROOM.

Avoid rooms in summer unless you enjoy frying. If you don't plan on using room before sundown you may be alright. They will not refund money though room unihabitable until after dark, if you're lucky to get a coolish night.

I told the owner (Jeff Seymore) we can't go in such a hot room and he literally said ' It will be fine after the sun goes down.' I said I paid for the afternoon too and he just repeated he won't give money back - I purchased on- line.

He gave me a cooling trend weather report and when we came back at 11 p.m. the evening had cooled nicely and the room was fine - if you like cheap paneled rooms and a pillow that seemed like it was stuffed with clay.

Also my wife and daughter's allergies flared up in the room we believe must be from animal hair though the room was clean.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Colonial House Inn and Motel in Weston Vt.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, all i can suggest is that you check with a quick phone call to any establishment as even the smallest B & B's usually have window air conditioners. Despite what Mr Bush thinks summers do seem warmer in Vermont!

As for pillows, i think all establishments should have servicable pillows and lots of them! That's a personal observation but what good is a decent bed without a good pillow?

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Colonial House Inn and Motel in Weston Vt.

hi Robjohn

First thing - the best place to leave a property review in in the actual review section - not in the forums where it soon becomes lost.

Now to answer the post....

There are actually MANY B&Bs in Vermont that do not have air conditioners. This can be for various resons, perhaps cost, (many B&B owners struggle financially and have to justify every cent ) perceived need (when historically there has only been half a dozen real hot days a year up here) or to maintain the historic integrity of the property.

As pointed out if airconditioning is important then please ask before you book ( point out allergies too so the owner can make sure that you are not given a room that sets off a reaction!) Most B&B owners really DO want guests to have a great experience - but we do need to know in advance what factors are important. And most of us are happy to suggest an alternative more suitable property rather than have someone disappointed. There are over 800 B&B's and Inns in Vermont and they're all different so it is wise NOT to assume that they will all have the features and facilities you may require.. You just need to pick your lodging carefully.

In their defence, the Colonial is one of the less expensive B&B's in the area but has a great location in Weston As reflected in the price, (from $65 a room!) it is fairly no-frills lodging that offers excellent value for money if you are prepared to risk a little discomfort if we get the odd very sticky day.....and the bakery on site is WONDERFUL.

3. Re: The Colonial House Inn and Motel in Weston Vt.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 18:46
Get answers to your questions about Weston