We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Fall Foliage Oct 2016

I would like some advice on good routes to take for fall foliage and covered bridges. We will be driving to Waitsfield from Boston. We have 3 days there. I would also like recommendations for restaurants.

13 replies to this topic
Warren, Vermont
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

There are three covered bridges in Waitsfield/Warren and a very scenic overview drive of the Valley over Common Rd - East Warren Rd - Plankton Rd - Fuller Hill Rd - 100 N - Bragg Hill Rd - Number 9 - Rt 17.

If you are planning to head Montpelier, there is a back way over the Moretown Mountain Rd with will put you on Cox Brook Rd in north field and through three covers bridges in a row. This will put you on Rt 12. A Left turn will meander you to Montpelier.

Another classic is from Waitsfield over Rt 17, the Appalachian Gap, to Bristol there you have options to head south the Middlebury, north to Shelburne/Burlington.

The ultra classic 100 N to 108 and Smugglers Notch in Stowe is quite scenic but heavily traveled that time of year.

Here are some of our favorite restaurants in the Mad River Valley area:

Peasant - fine Italian

Mint - Vegan

Blue Stone - Pizza & more

275 Main St - Relais & Châteaux fine dining

Terra Rosa - casual Italian

Hyde Away - casual pub

The Big Picture Cafe & Theatre - Casual

American Flatbread - Local & organic pizza

Mad Taco - caual taco

Local Folk Smoke House - dive bar/good food

Prohibition Pig - brew pub (Waterbury)

Hen of the Wood - fine dining (Waterbury)

Enjoy the MRV!

you can PM me for more info.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Ditto Common Road and Bragg Hill Road. Very scenic views on these roads.

Also ditto Mad Taco.

Buy yourself a Vermont Road Atlas (Jimapco or Delorme make them) and don't be afraid to get off the main, paved roads. The dirt roads are where you'll see the best of Vermont scenery off the beaten path.

Enjoy your trip!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
434 reviews
3. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Depending on your dates and how important seeing the Colors of Fall may help you choose an area in Vermont, New Hampshire or even Massachusetts.

Also if your time is limited -that becomes a factor =once outside of Boston you want to take some of the 2 lane roads where your speed will be limited and of course you want to get out and see things!

Let us know your dates and we can give better suggestions for Fall Color and Covered Bridges!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Hi. My husband and I are visiting Boston from Perth, Australia. We are hiring a car for a week (Oct 10-17) to go Fall Leaf Chasing and Covered Bridges too. I was thinking of heading us to Montpellier via Stockbridge, Bennington (7A) to Manchester. Then Londonderry to Woodstock. Not sure of the best way to go up to Montpellier from there though. Would you suggest going across to Middlebury via the Appalation or Middlebury Gaps (for scenery) or just travel straight up to Montpellier from Woodstock?? We are heading back to Boston from Montpellier via St Johnsbury and the 93 to Littleton then Kancamagus Highway (112)...Is this a decent or achievable plan???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

First I might suggest you find lodging/beds.. Secure your reservations- October is very busy in New England.

2. You might let us know if you like to get out of the car for walks, shopping- what other activities- if you are just driving pretty much you can cover a lot of territory- be aware that the best roads are the 2 lane roads where speeds are reduced and if you want to stop you can easily spend a full day and not cover very many miles.

The 10-17 you would possibly want to do the KANC first as it tends to turn color early- last year the KANC was beautiful the first week of October-

Check fall foliage sites with dates like regional magazines such as Yankee have a lot of good information to help plan if seeing the colors is a main goal. It will be beautiful no matter what but I have been going to New England to photograph for many many years now and you just can't cover a lot of miles when you want to stop and explore- it gets dark by 6pm most nights that time of year. Hope you have an incredible trip!

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
751 posts
108 reviews
6. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

One beautiful way to Montpelier fr Woodstock wd be to take back roads (rte 12-N.Pomfret Rd.-Howe Hill Rd to Sharon VT and then pick up I-89 in Sharon to Montpelier -- wh is a beautiful, scenic road even though it's an interstate highway. There are also many ways to make this trip via back roads (rte 12, or rte 14, or rte 4 to Killington then rte 100 north etc etc etc) -- all beautiful, lots of places to stop and explore. No wrong choices here.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
105 reviews
7. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Hi and Thanks! The leaf colour is the main reason for visiting, so I will take your advice and aim to allow enough time to stop and enjoy. Im hoping to book accomodation in Woodstock and either Stowe or Montpellier and Portsmouth. Would you recommend anywhere in particular?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
105 reviews
8. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Hi and Thanks! The leaf colour is the main reason for visiting, so I will take your advice and aim to allow enough time to stop and enjoy. Im hoping to book accomodation in Woodstock and either Stowe or Montpellier and Portsmouth. Would you recommend anywhere in particular?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
105 reviews
9. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Hi Swedishivy2013. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I feel reassured that we will probably get to see something beautiful no matter which path we choose.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 2016

Hello! It all sounds beautiful.

I was wondering what dates you all were planning and if you are watching any foliage trackers online to determine when to go. I live in NYC and would like to take my family from the West Coast to Vermont. Its a trek and I'm sure there's quite a bit of fall foliage to see in NY but its a dream of my mother's to go to Vermont. Specifically where, we don't know yet.

:)

Reply to: Fall Foliage Oct 2016
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waitsfield
Recent Conversations
More Waitsfield Topics