We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
Fall Foliage

Hello Manchester Forum!

We've planned our foliage trip to Manchester, VT this year. Arriving October 15th. Last year we went to Stowe October 1st, and it was early for color. I know it's a gamble...so many factors can have influence... we went later and further south this year...crossing my fingers we see color!

I've been tracking the change on a few different foliage sites, and panicked today when I saw, what looked like Manchester and other parts of southern VT already at "peak"!? Two days ago it indicated "just starting to change".... :(

Again, I know it's hard to predict....but can any locals please let me know how it looks...do you think we will be too late? We will be there October 15-18th...

Thank in advance! I always appreciate the time!

- jen

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
757 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: Fall Foliage

Right now in central and northern Vermont, the trees are changing color especially in wetlands -- lots of brilliant red maple. But it's different depending on altitude and environment, and remember that oak trees in particular turn color much later so that there will be beautiful gold and bronze and orange foliage long after the maples have lost their leaves.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Fall Foliage

I am in Bennington, just south of Manchester, and the leaves are just starting to turn though there is plenty of color in the various types of vegetation in addition to the trees. I went on a hike in Manchester last weekend and the area was almost completely green. There is no way it is peak this weekend. You will see color, but it is muted this year most probably due to the summer heat and drought.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
3. Re: Fall Foliage

Thank you so much for the reply! I hope we will get to see some reds, but I'll be happy with the oaks.....13 days to go! :-)

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
4. Re: Fall Foliage

I am so happy to read your post! It's made my morning :) I read one article, or rather it was a map showing southern VT completely in "peak" - and thought that if that were the case, by the 15th the trees would be bare! If you were just in Manchester and it was green, we should be good. Beyond excited. I'd also be happy to have some leaves on the ground so my toddlers can jump in a pile...things I did as a child that I took for granted - my Florida brood does not know a thing about seasons. :) Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
5. Re: Fall Foliage

One last question: Is there an Apple Orchard that anyone would recommend? Mad Tom's will not have apples (I spoke with a nice guy over there)....maybe the 15th is late for Apples...?

Again, I super-appreciate the time!

Counting the days!

-Jen

Edited: 02 October 2016, 18:53
6. Re: Fall Foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2018, 18:49
Get answers to your questions about Manchester