We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester or...?

South Africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester or...?

Hi all. We will be visiting from South Africa in October. Primarily to view the fall foliage but also want to stay in a pretty town, with some shopping, arts etc. Our choice lies between Manchester, Killington and Rutland. Can anyone give us some advise on which to choose and the benefits...

Really appreciate the help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester or...?

If shopping is much of a priority I'd say Manchester by far. There's nothing wrong with Rutland but it wouldn't be very high on my list of VT towns to choose from. Stowe and Burlington are a couple worth looking into.

Manchester is nice but it's a bit to commercial now for my tastes. It's probably a great place for some people especially those looking to shop I wouldn't suggest Manchester to anyone looking to see "real" Vermont.

Although with a car I suppose it really doesn't matter much because you can explore the region.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester or...?

None of the above. Stay in Woodstock. Then visit Chester and maybe Grafton. Check out Manchester if you want to go shopping.

South Africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester or...?

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester or...?

Stowe is absolutely an equal to or a nicer experience than Woodstock.

5. Re: Manchester or...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2017, 01:35
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester or...?

I prefer Burlington to Stowe or Woodstock.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester or...?

The OP mentioned "a pretty town, with some shopping, arts etc." Woodstock certainly fits that bill and is significantly closer to the general area mentioned in the OP (Manchester/Killington/Rutland). I suggest it because Killington doesn't really have much going on until ski season, Rutland seems ok but not terribly memorable and Manchester has outlets but not as much charm as the smaller Vermont towns.

Stowe is amazing for hiking and outdoors activities but it's significantly further north than the general area that the OP mentioned and so is Burlington.

Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester or...?

Manchester is lovely, Killington is fairly removed and Rutland is more commercial. Manchester has boutiques as well as outlet shopping, restaurants & cafes, art galleries, and adjacent small towns for fun day trips and excursions during foliage. Peru, Weston, Dorset to name a few. Foliage in the Manchester area is robust with surrounding mountains to the east and west. I'm not sure if you have booked your trip yet, but if you have not, I would definitely suggest staying with Manchester and day tripping to the North is easy as well - to Warren and Shelburne if you want to do a longer drive.

South Africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester or...?

Hi,

Yep, booked Mamchester after all the input. Thank you. Will also take note of all the towns mentioned by everyone and try and fit as many of them in as we can! Excited, as we only have a month to go before flying. Appreciate all the input!

South Africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester or...?

PS have been to both Stowe and Burlington a few years ago. But we're not going that far north this trip....

Get answers to your questions about Manchester