We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting without a car

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Visiting without a car

Hello! I would be taking the train from NYC in the fall. Would I be very limited without a car? Also - any suggestions on where to stay? Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Visiting without a car

Where are you taking the train to? Manchester is about a 1/2 hour south of Rutland, the closest Amtrak stop in Vermont. I am not sure how often busses run from Rutland to Manchester. If you stay in the center of Manchester you could walk to a number of places, and there may be a bus that goes around the community. But if you wish to see foliage it is best to have a car (this applies to all of northern New England and NY).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Visiting without a car

Thanks! I thought I saw that Amtrak had several stations there. I had better look again!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Visiting without a car

Is this what you saw: https:/…

I don't understand it at all. The website says that the train stops at three addresses in Manchester, one of which is the Equinox Resort and one is the Northshire Bookstore!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Visiting without a car

Yes! There is one that seems to stop right in the middle of everything. Are these phantom ghost stations? 😬

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Visiting without a car

They must be because Amtrak does not go to Manchester VT!

EDIT: I went on the Amtrack website and it looks like you can book to Manchester....weird. I'm guessing it's a combination train (to Albany?) and then bus.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 06:13
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Visiting without a car

Figured it out and you are right! The website at the Wilberton mentions that there is a special bus! I really appreciated that their website mentioned that you can, in fact, visit them without a car. But i think it would be the kind of vacation where you plunk yourself down with a book and some tea and don’t move very much. Actually.... right about now, that soundspretty good!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
250 reviews
7. Re: Visiting without a car

I have been in Manchester many times and I know that there are freight line tracks thru town. After all, one portion of the town is known as "Manchester Depot" but that website is very misleading.

As to plunking yourself down with a book and tea, you can do that just about anywhere. Manchester is spread out. The old part of town near the Equinox Hotel does not have much in the way of attractions. Stores and restaurants are mainly in the Manchester Center area with others, along with outlets along Routes 11 & 30 (Depot Street). That area is also known as Manchester Depot.

Many people go to Manchester for the outlet shopping. Without a car even in the center of the business area you would be limited without a car unless you were content to just sit and relax.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Visiting without a car

Thank you, Owl! This is very helpful, indeed!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
278 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: Visiting without a car

As others have already stated there is no train station in Manchester itself.

Amtrak has 2 trains daily from New York to Albany, NY: The Ethan Allan and the Lake Shore imited. From the Albany Amtrak Station you could transfer to Vermont Trans Lines (bus) for a direct connection to Manchester.

www.VTTranslines.com

I obtained this info from the Manchester Visitor Info site www.ManchesterVermont.com.

It seems that Wanderu does not keep their website regularly updated. I travel carless often and have checked them a few times and not once was the information the same the providing carrier posted (prices, destinations as well as schedules)

Is there a specific reason that you have selected Manchester as your vacation destination? If convenience of train travel from New York was an important criteria you may want check Brattleboro or Bellows Falls. Both have direct Amtrak service into town (on the Vermonter) Have not been to Bellows Falls, but went to spend a few days in Brattleboro last year.It is the larger town of the 2 with cultural offerings as well as walking/hiking trails, and in town dining options that can be reached w/o car. Brattleboro has a small local transportation system that may be useful during weekday daytime hours.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Visiting without a car

Thanks, Mimi!!! I am going to look into your two suggestions.

Reply to: Visiting without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manchester