We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November visit with dog

Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
November visit with dog

Looking for activity suggestions for a long weekend in November. Traveling with a sporty, active dog. Some hiking but nothing steep and challenging. Dog friendly breweries and restaurants... (might be tough since outside seating will not be an option). Already have a hotel booked so that is taken care of. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
739 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: November visit with dog

The two weeks before (including) Thanksgiving are rifle hunting season, not great for hiking. You'd need to wear blaze orange vest and keep your dog on a leash. Most hikers I know here stay out of the woods and do road walks those two weeks.

Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: November visit with dog

Very helpful - thank you!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: November visit with dog

Mt. Philo State Park and Niquette Bay State Park would be good places to with the dog. The gates to the entrances will be locked, but you can park outside them and walk in.

Switchback is dog friendly. I believe Burlington Beer Co. is as well.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: November visit with dog

I assume you're staying in Burlington since this is in the Burlington forum. Lots of places to out with your dog around here and no worries about deer season. Down at the waterfront there's a fenced in dog park a few hundred yards north of the skate park (where there's lots of parking), and then a little past that is access down to a long stretch of sandy beach along the lake. That beach is called Texaco Beach where it starts, and then you'll get to North Beach, and then if you keep going you'll enter a trail system into the woods around Lone Rock Point. Great place to walk a dog in the off season. From the skate park where you can park to North Beach is probably 1 mile, and then you can go about another mile to Lone Rock Point.

We also love taking our dog to Indian Brook Reservoir in Essex, about a 20 minute drive from downtown Burlington. The trail around the reservoir is about 2 miles and flat, and tons of people walk dogs there especially in the off season. If you google it, you'll see mention of needing a permit to park but it's not enforced outside of the summer months.

Mt. Philo and Niquette Bay are two other good suggestions and although hunting is allowed on state land, I've never seen hunters anywhere near the hiking trails.

Reply to: November visit with dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted