We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

My plan was to hire a car with Enterprise in Burlington town following our stay there and then drive to Stowe for our 3 night stay before returning the car to Burlington Airport ready to fly out. Car would be needed for Wednesday to Saturday (70 hours total).

The online quote with Enterprise is £230 (around $290) which seems really excessive for just 3 days considering we will only use the car to get to Stowe and then from Stowe to BTV. I don't expect us to use the car whilst in Stowe as we are staying central and plan to do a lot of walking.

As it doesn't seem to be that far it must be cheaper to just get a taxi each way? I guess there is Uber but are there any reliable local firms? Maybe one that will definitely pick us up from Stowe to take us to BTV? I assume a taxi would be maybe $60 each way? So less than half the cost of a hire car.

Help welcome!

11 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

I would check with more than just Enterprise to see if you can find a better rate. That does sound expensive but if you are coming during a peak tourist time then it might be the going rate.

I think you will want a car in Stowe. Even if you are staying in the village (intersection of Routes 100/108), you can walk the entire village in about 20 minutes. For anything else in Stowe you really need a car to get to.

Green Cab has been around awhile and has a good reputation. If I needed a reliable taxi to get to and from Stowe I'd probably start with them.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

You'll want a car in Stowe no matter what. There's only so far you can walk. Its a small place and a car will allow you to see more.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

yes, agree with the first couple posts about getting a car.

Stowe is a nice town and to a certain extent "what you don't know doesn't hurt you" would apply if you didn't have one but Vermont is about so much more than Tourist towns and you can't do justice to seeing Vermont by just staying in one.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
595 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

Are you visiting in the fall foliage season? The car rental companies there really jack up the rates for foliage season. I think I paid nearly three times as much (it was at least twice as much) to rent a car for four days last October than I've paid in the past for a week during the spring. And that was for National (which provided very poor service, I will never use them again) -- it was even higher for the bigger companies.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

I have to agree. You will be too limited without a car. And you won’t see nearly as much.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

Ok thanks for the feedback. Maybe we will just get a couple of quotes from places in Burlington when we are there and see if we can get a good deal rather than pre-booking. We will want the car from 5th September to 8th September. Basically $100 per day just seemed a lot but hopefully I can sort something when there.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

When I go to Orbitz.com, I am seeing cars starting at $31/day in Burlington.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

Thank you so much, that is exactly the kind of website I needed! Looks like I will need to pickup from the airport but that's fine, we can get a taxi out to the car rental place and then drive to Stowe from there. $31 a day is great!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
595 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

I wonder if it has something to do with booking internationally. When my sister who lives in the UK was looking at car rentals, the prices were much higher than when I looked at them here. She waited until she got here to book and she got the lower prices that I had found.

I just entered your dates at the Enterprise website and the rates were around $35-39 per day.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
595 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?

The rental car counters are on the lower level of the Burlington airport, which is small, and the cars are right in the airport parking garage. Very easy, you don't have to take a shuttle or anything.

Reply to: Burlington to Stowe - Car rental?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted