We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing the Canyons

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
966 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing the Canyons

I will be looking for some nice blue groomers. Please suggest the area I should head for with my young granddaughter (while the rest or our crew hits the steeps). I like to familiarize myself with the trail map before venturing out so I'm not wrestling with it on the mountain. A friend insists The Canyons is a difficult mountain and I want to be sure I don't get to a location that is beyond our little one's abilities. We are staying at the Miners Club; a plan of attack is appreciated.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,601 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing the Canyons

Canyons is no more difficult than any other mountain. Our daughter and son-in-law took their family their last Friday and had the two never-ever kids skiing all over the mountain by end of the day.

The blues off Saddleback (Red Pine Lodge) and Sun Peak are great. Then migrate over to the Daybreak and Dreamscape lifts for similar blues. The new Iron Mountain lift also has some good blue offerings.

Canyons has become a fantastic resort in the last few years with the on-mountain and base area upgrades. The new base area with a half-dozen restaurants, bars, etc. is fabulous. Have a good time.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing the Canyons

As tumbleweed mentioned, the canyons is an excellent place for beginners. Once you take up the main gondola to red pine lodge, I too enjoy saddleback as a nice good ol' "blue" run. Enjoy the new snow!

Edited: 02 March 2012, 23:10
Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
966 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing the Canyons

Thank you both. I feel much better now. We make a trip out west each year, and have yet to find a mountain that all members of the group can't enjoy, but this is the first time with one of the grandchildren.

One more question, are the trails mentioned all groomed?

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing the Canyons

Yes, they do a great job grooming the trails. You'll love it and so will the grandchild.

CT
Level Contributor
137 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing the Canyons

Every morning at the base of the gondola there are greeters handing out daily grooming reports. It is essentially a trail map showing what trails have been groomed the previous night.

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
966 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing the Canyons

Thanks for the suggestions. We really did enjoy The Canyons. The runs in the Daybreak and Dreamscape area were perfect. We'd head over to Tombstone for the BBQ lunch - greatest pulled pork ever!

Although they were not handing out grooming reports at the gondola, we were able to get one at the ticket window (it really didn't change from day to day). My granddaughter saw a moose from the Condor lift and it was the highlight of her trip (second only to Grampa wiping out on the rope tow!)

Great resort, we'd highly recommend it as a family destination.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,601 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing the Canyons

Thanks for sharing your comments! Yah, there are moose in the area and that's the likely place to see one. BIG snow dump going on now ... might have to go check it out.

8. Re: Skiing the Canyons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 14:54