We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The View Hotel

PA
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
The View Hotel

Looking at visiting Monument Valley next spring. A question about accommodations. The View’s website doesn’t really seem to tell me what all the different room types are. Has anyone stayed here that can explain : Valley View, Premium View, Star View and Premium star View.

The Valley View rooms seem to be the cheapest, does that mean the view from those rooms are less impressive than the others?

The food at the restaurant didn’t sound like it got very good reviews. Where could we stop on the way from Moab to pick up some food to have later in the day?

12 replies to this topic
PA
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: The View Hotel

Another question...how do the cabins compare to staying at the hotel? Pros and cons.

Thank you!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,760 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: The View Hotel

"Star View" means top floor. If you look at the picture of the hotel on their website, you can see that the balconies on the top floor do not have anything obstructing your view if you were to look directly overhead.

Premium rooms are located furthest away from the restaurant (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g57072-…).

It's my understanding that the view from the rooms is better than from the cabins (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g57072-…

Whatever you do, do NOT book a "Driver Room". These are located on the wrong side of the hotel and your view (if you stand up on a chair to look out the window) will be of the parking lot.

For future reference, the search function on Trip Advisor is pretty much useless. However, if you Google your question - e.g. "the view cabins vs. rooms", it will invariably lead you right back to Trip Advisor but will take you straight to posts that are on point.

The food at The View is ok; nothing to rave about but not awful. There are a plethora of grocery stores in Moab and the Moab Diner does box lunches to go (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k12034113-Very_long_trip_report_of_the_Mighty_5-Utah.html - see the last paragraph of post #4)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,134 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: The View Hotel

Virtually all rooms enjoy the same view. Higher floors command higher rates. As noted, the room that are farthest from the lobby and restaurant are considered superior. They also require a longer walk.

Hotel rooms are all superior to cabin accommodations.

Restaurant food is a combination of native fare with an institutional twist to accommodate the high demand from visitors who turn over daily. I find it to be appealing and adequate. Don’t expect gourmet fare or a typical variety of eateries. You’re in nowhere’s ville. On the Rez. Consider this a visi5 to a foreign nation and culture. You are there as a guest. Accept their food and traditions. No alcohol.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: The View Hotel

Perhaps this trip report will answer some of the questions. We stayed 2 nights at the View Hotel in different rooms so read the trip report on what we thought of each plus the food:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28924…

Here is the view from our balcony for Sunrise:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/27016029908/

Here is the view of the Milky Way from our balcony:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/40195388424/

United States
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: The View Hotel

We recently stayed in 329, (a two queen premium Star view, $289 +tax & services). Everything about The View Hotel is 'the view' and if that were not the case, then you'd probably think that you were staying at any chain hotel.

I suppose my review is a little jaded since we arrived to gray skies and rain compliments of the remains of storm Rosa. Everything was shrouded in deep cloud cover--what we could see was kind of eerie, certainly not the iconic views you associate with MV. We did see some stars early the following morning and the sunrise, but it was not very dramatic. Not the religious experience that some people speak of :(

I believe we booked the room that we did because it was the only type available at the time. It's true that the very narrow balcony has less of an overhang than those on the lower floors, and the room was the next to the last down a long hall, but I'd recommend saving some money and going for the second floor unless you have $$ to burn.

My honest and detailed assessment:

The room itself was spacious, with a Keurig (Starbucks pods), flat screen, micro, mini fridge (no freezer), and a safe. Plenty of outlets and lamps, large bathroom with a good shower and huge bath towels. The bed was okay, but the pillows were awful, way too firm.

The restaurant is fine. We were seated at the window for lunch. Service was good; we each had a fry bread sandwich (Billy Yellow and Herb Yazhe). Can't even recall what the filling was, but fry bread is like fried dough you find at a country fair. Hearty portions. We also ate breakfast the following morning ($10 ea for guests of the hotel, $15 for non-guests). It's mostly a buffet: potatoes, scrambled eggs, French toast, pancakes, biscuits/gravy, oatmeal, cold cereal, melon slices, yogurt, bagels ... Wait staff brings your beverages and offers bacon and sausage. You can also buy sandwiches and other food to go at the quick service area.

Every employee that we encountered were helpful and friendly.

The gift shop is extensive and you'll receive a discount coupon to use, but when we were there it was choked with tour bus people (mostly waiting to use the restrooms) and it was hard to look around.

If you need groceries, as a previous poster mentioned, there are many choices in Moab. You could also stop in at Goulding's store.

Apologies for the long-winded post. Hope it helps someone.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
460 posts
249 reviews
6. Re: The View Hotel

The rooms in the lodge offer the better views compared to those in the cabins. With that said, you're going to have an amazing view no matter which room you choose in the lodge. Here's the pros and cons of each type of room available:

VALLEY VIEW: Pros: They're closest to the lobby/restaurant area, access to the patio areas and views of the Mittens. Cons: It's sometimes difficult to avoid getting the patios in photos of the Mittens when taking them from your balcony.

PREMIUM VIEW: Pros: They're furthest from the lobby/restaurant area and have unobstructed (no chance of patios in photos) views of the Mittens and valley. Cons: It can be a bit of a longer walk to the lobby/restaurant area.

STAR VIEW/PREMIUM STAR VIEW: The star view rooms are located on the top (3rd floor) of the hotel. The balconies don't have an overhang. Therefore, you have an unobstructed overhead view of the stars at night. The premium rooms are those furthest from the lobby/restaurant area.

My advice is to choose the room that meets your budget. Remember that you can (and will) move around outside on the patios and grounds of the hotel to get the full experience and for photo ops. Furthermore, though the valley and premium rooms on the first and second floors have a small overhang over the balconies, you still have ample views of the starlit nights from your balconies. You honestly can't go wrong with any of the room choices or locations in terms of views.

The restaurant is perfectly fine and offers some good choices in regional food. Because you're on a reservation, no alcohol is served or sold, however.

PA
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: The View Hotel

Thank you all so much for your information and suggestions. I just booked our room for a night, now already I’m wondering if I should have booked for 2 nights instead.

If we arrive around 11am-noon from Moab, I’m sure our room won’t be ready that early to check in. Is it safe enough to leave all of our belongings in the car and go on one of the Navajo tours for 3 hours?

If not, is there enough at the visitor center,museum to keep us busy for a long period of time, or should we just take our time traveling from Moab?

Thank you all again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,134 posts
250 reviews
8. Re: The View Hotel

Yes, your car will be safe. Use common sense. Don’t leave valuables in plain site. Go on your tour upon arrival. This way, one night will suffice.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,760 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: The View Hotel

There's quite a bit to see between MV and Moab Depending upon your plans for the next day, you could take pretty much all day driving to MV and do your tour the next morning.

We did our loop in the opposite direction (i.e. MV to Moab). The focus of our trip was scenic drives with some hikes and since we were in our new, low clearance sports car, all the roads we chose were paved and in good condition (so no Moki Dugway for us!).

My notes say we left MV "early" but I took quite a few sunrise photos and we had time for breakfast, so it can't have been too early - I'd guess 8 - 8:30 am or so. Anyway, this was our itinerary (remember, you'll want to do this in reverse):

- stopped off for obligatory photo op at Forrest Gump Point;

- stopped at Goosenecks National Park (my notes indicate that I thought this was a waste of time and $5 entry fee)

- drove the scenic loop at Natural Bridges (also not that impressed) and walked around a bit at some viewpoints to stretch our legs a bit;

- drove UT-95 to the bridge - this one was of my favourite scenic drive in two weeks of continuous scenic drives!

- drove to the Needles area of Canyonlands, via UT-211; and

- checked out Newspaper Rock (which didn't disappoint).

We got to Moab around 7 pm.

Hope this helps.

PA
Level Contributor
119 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: The View Hotel

Thanks HolaGata! Just starting to work on our itinerary, and didn’t realize there was so much between Moab and monument valley. Wow! Thanks for bring this to my attention!

Reply to: The View Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted