We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Playa de Las Americas

Torshavn
Level Contributor
620 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches in Playa de Las Americas

This questions were probably asked before, but I am not so good in finding similar topics, so I appologize beforehand for the repetition.

We will be staying at Vila Cortez for about one week at the begining of September and I would be interested if there is any good beach within walking distance. I am not a very big fan of pools, I rather would swim in the ocean. There is a kind of private one right in front of the hotel, but looks more as a pool than an actual beach.

Some practical questions:

1. Does the water become deep imediately or gradually? For me there is more or less no problem, as I swim quite well, but for my husband is a little bit difficult, especially if the currents are strong. In Madeira it was quite an adventure to get in the sea, as the waves were very strong, but once you were in, due to the depth, the curents were not bad. I am curious how it is in Tenerife.

2. The colors of the beach flags. When is one supposed not to go in the water?

3. Can you rent sunbeds and umbrelas everywhere? And if yes, how much can one be? Is there anything we have to be aware?

4. Is there sand in the water or stones? Does one need to have watershoes? If yes, can they be bought there?

5. Last, but not least, a silly question I know, but are there any jelly fish in the water? I simply hate them.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in Playa de Las Americas

The beach at Villa Villa Cortez isnt the best beach in the area but you have choices ,if you head right when facing the sea abouut a 10/12 min stroll just after Veronicas entertainment area is Playa Troya this is a beach more of a nature of sand that is on the island its dark sand rather than golden ........

If you head Left when facing the sea you will come to Charco del Marques which is just in front of Parque Santiago 3 this is quite rough and its mainly used by local surfers the fact it is gives you an idea its not the best place for swimming .After this is Playa Del Camison in front of Cleopatra Hotel the first of golden imported sand ,after which is what i think is the best beach in the area Playa Las Vistas which starts just in front of Compostello Beach Family Gardens apts /Vista sur shopping area then runs right up to the port tunnel which leads you into Los Cris and its beaches beyond

1 I only ever use Playa Las Vistas so can only tell you about that particular one ,it slopes gradually and it is slighty rocky underfoot ( being a double amputee not something i have issues with !) so for me it may just feel rockier that it actually is .As said still you get out some distance its is a gradual slope before it deepens but its a lengthy beach so really you have its length to swim which is more than enough for most .

The fact that large Ferrys run out of Los Cris gives you an idea that the depth of water is there .

2 flags ,green amber and red ,amber its better to remain closer to the shore RED is a definate No No for swimming or paddling for that matter if above thigh height ( IMO )

3 Dont know if they have gone up since my last visit but it was sunbeds/parasols 4 euros each per day and are readily available on areas of the beaches .

4 a mix of both on most i would expect ,and a personal opinion is to wear water shoes which again are easily found in the beach shops from around 4 euros especially for those with children .Even if not required in the sea a definate benefit for walking on the hot sand once off the runner boards !

5 Yes at certain times of the year there are lots of jelly fish that come into the shallows of the beaches ,but if they are spotted warning flags are flown .Not sure of the up to date issue with Life guards on the beaches but they used to be responsible for this .........check with your reception about the life guard situation if no one else has any info or on Playa Las Vistas just before San Telmo area is the Life guard station so you could check there .

Mentioned in this post
Troya Beach
Troya Beach
713 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Parque Santiago
Parque Santiago
870 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Playa del Camison
Playa del Camison
193 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
773 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in Playa de Las Americas

Agree with oneleg playa las vista is the best beach, plenty of sunbeds to hire, good beach bars for a nice beer and lunch.

Playa del camison is also good, but much smaller than las vista.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Camison
Playa del Camison
193 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Torshavn
Level Contributor
620 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in Playa de Las Americas

Thank you, noted. I will buy the shoes just in case. Very good information.

PS. Ummm, black sand, I love that. We have gray one up here but I rarely get to walk barefoot on it as it is so cold all the time. It will be nice to see and try.

4. Re: Beaches in Playa de Las Americas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas
More Playa de las Americas Topics