We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm machines

Level Contributor
751 posts
50 reviews
Atm machines

I have used these in the past, but have had problems, for some reason it hasn`t reconised my card in 2 sep machines and I have ended up going up to Arroya. (this was a few years ago but it happened on 2 consecutive holidays) I dont like taking lots of cash but I am worried I will have the same problem. I went to my bank back in the uk and they couldn`t understand why I had a problem.

Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Atm machines

In all the years we have been going to this area we have never had a problem using ATM machines but if you have then I can fully understand your reluctance to rely on them. The only advice I can think of is to have a back up plan - i.e. another current account which you could transfer money over to or use one of the cards you preload that are mentioned on here a lot. Do you need to advise your bank that you will be withdrawing abroad?

Level Contributor
751 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Atm machines

I think I will have a back up plan, might go back to Travelers chqs. Don`t think I need to inform my bank as we have been using card in atms abroad for years without problems but thanks for pointing that out to us, I will ask them when i order my travelers chqs.

Greater London...
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Atm machines

Don't use traveller's cheques they aren't used much at all now and the exchange rate isn't always as good. I'd get a pre-loaded card like Fairfx which is the one I use. Their exchange rate is always higher than the usual exchange companies and you can load it up with as much as you can afford. It can be used in ATMs and for shopping and although you pay a fee of €1.50 approx for ATM withdrawals it is cheaper than a lot of the Debit cards charge.

I can give you a link, if you would like to PM me, to Fairfx, which means they will waive the usual £9.95 fee or you could try Caxton who also do a similar card.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
18,087 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Atm machines

The rates are poor for travellers cheques, and they arent as widely accepted as they used to be. I, too, have never had problems with atm`s but do always take a debit and credit card just in case.

Level Contributor
751 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Atm machines

ok thanks I always have a credit card as back up and I don`t like taking much cash. Which are the nearest machines to the Bali hotel please? We do usually walk up to arroya each day anyway for a tapas or two and I think the problem with the atm caused us to do this.

Level Contributor
751 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Atm machines

CJ thanks for advise on preloaded cards, I don`t fancy one of these but thanks for the offer of the link.Guess I`m just a bit old fashioned, it look me years to use the atm`s.

Sounds a bit silly but I have never used the cc abroad only on the aircraft or in the airport. Perhaps we should start to.Always a bit wary that we will be ripped off, prefer to see the rate or price first.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 17:01
Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Atm machines

Not silly - all down to yourself. My sister puts everything on her cc abroad - I am the same as you - I take it as a back up but never use it. I am lucky in that my main ac is with Santander and if you use one of their machines in Spain you don't get charged and they give a good rate .

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: Atm machines

Understand your fear of cards. As careful as you are problems can occurr. In Madrid used card for car and hotel impress only. When I returned home found I had spent 4900 euro's all in the space of an hour when we were sat on the plane home, how very strange.

hate internet banking even more, have a friend who's party trick is to switch your computer on, find password and hack into your bank account in the time you make him a cup of tea.

Not sure what I will do when they do away with the cheque in the u.k., maybe not pay anybody.

North West England...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Atm machines

Coffeeandbrandy you say you don't fancy a preloaded card ?

Once you have applied for a Caxtonfx Eurocard you preload online before you go on holiday from your very own current bank account . As said in an earlier post the exchange rate is always good.

You use it exactly the same as your bank cards in an ATM, no charge .

I always use ones outside banks , not ones that are just a hole in the wall . Never had any problems.

Don't understand, as didnt your bank, why your card wasn't recognised btw.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 18:57
Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
10. Re: Atm machines

I think cheques must be worse (fraud wise) as the receiver then has your account number, sort code, signature & in some cases your address - if you are asked to write it on the back.

Sadly nothing is fullproof though :(

Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena