We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concessions

Bristol
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Concessions

hi

Could someone kindly advise me if there are concessions for OAPs on the trains and if so what evidence does one have to produce

eg would a passport be enough.?

Would be grateful to receive any information.

May I say how pleased we have been for all the replies we have received recently to other questions.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Concessions

Hi there

As far as i am aware there are no concessions for OAP's or minors, and if there were i would "think" it would only be for Spanish residents - although as i say i am not 100% sure.

Fortunately public transport is both excellent and very cheap here.

As an alternative to trains you can get the bus of course, and there is a discount card you can get which saves you on your fare.

For further info, visit this thread here: tripadvisor.co.uk/…16708336

Hope that helps

CB

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concessions

Spanish Pensioners get cheaper fares, But the fares for everyone else are so cheap you wont have to worry. Maximum fare is about 2.10€ from Malaga to Fuengirola. Cheap as chips.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 10:32
A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concessions

It's a 60% reduction for those aged 60 or over but you need to be a Spanish National or hold a 'Residencia' card to claim it at the ticket office. I wonder how people go on at the un-manned stations?

Children up to 5 years travel free as long as they don't occupy a seat. Children over 5 get a 50% reduction and disabled persons a 65% reduction.

As Paul says, it's hardly worth the bother on a €1.30 fare!

Mike.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
17,643 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concessions

renfe.es/cercanias/malaga/index_horarios.html

This link takes you to Renfe website where it says the Gold Card is available to over 60`s. I have seen a leaflet a few years ago that said the Tarjeta Dorada was available to ALL 60+ at manned stations on production of a passport, NIE, or residencia. It is a 40% discount.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concessions

I wouldn't want to risk carrying my passport about just to get this reduction , although I did see in the Benidorm forum that a member had advised doing this for train travel there .

It's relative to the person and what their budget is I suppose ?

Edited: 31 January 2010, 19:20
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
17,643 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concessions

You only take the passport once to get the card, its valid for a year. www.renfe.es/productos/on_tdorada.html.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Concessions

I totally agree about not wanting to carry your passport about (we don't) but I believe, as tourists, we are supposed to? I've photocopied our but i don't know if that is acceptable....

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concessions

Pensioners of all nationalities are entitled to a Tarjeta Dorada.

However, 60% of a low fare is very little - and the queue/time taken to get a Tarjeta Dorada can be very time consuming.

Unless on a very limited budget where literally every cent counts, just not worth the effort on a one or two week stay.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 19:26
A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concessions

The comments about not carrying your passport brings up another old chestnut.

Aren't we supposed to carry photographic I.D. at ALL times?

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Concessions

Mike, exactly! I don't think photocopies of passports count but I'm not prepared to carry about the real thing! Hopefully they'll take into account that I've at least made an effort! ? ;-)